Favorite virtual synths?

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Favorite virtual synths?

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

Even though I'm analog obsessed, I still love me some nice virtual reality. What are everyone's favorites? Besides Absynth, I'm falling in love with these as of late:

Minimonsta
J8V

Both of these (especially the Arturia) are overpriced in my opinion, but they offer free trials.

On a separate note, a tidbit for those wanting to step outside of VST territory: Korg MS2000s are selling still for ridiculously cheap. Good-condition ones can be had for $300; an absolute steal for what this synth can do. Granted it's not true analog, the tweakability is immense and range of sounds extraordinary. Fully MIDI capable as well. More info here and demo here.
Anton Maiof

Re: Favorite virtual synths?

Post by Anton Maiof »

Arturia Minimoog V is my go to for most things when demoing stuff, I use it so often the price seems inconsequential.
Rob Papen's Predator also
NIs FM7

But I agree with you, only the Minimoog V ends up on final tracks, the rest I replace as I have a microkorg, pro one, solina and DX21 here already.

Similarly to your MS2000 tip, DX21s are still pretty cheap and they sound awesome, they are of course a bitch to program without a computer, but I'm still in love with mine after 3 or so years...
donaldf▽ck

Post by donaldf▽ck »

2 ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Talkin' bout real synths, what would you prefer: korg ms2000s or microkorg xl ?
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

donaldf▽ck wrote:2 ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Talkin' bout real synths, what would you prefer: korg ms2000s or microkorg xl ?
Never played an XL, but am not a fan of these small keyboards. The MS2000 has full-sized keys and some heft to it. There are a lot fewer knobs on the XL, so in my opinion a lot less fun and experimentability. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Honestly, if you're on a budget and looking for a great virtual analog synth, it's hard to beat the MS2000 for the price. Lush pads, heavy bass, ethereal soundscapes, powerful stabs, etc. Also has a sequencer and a great arpeggiator.

Don't just take my word for it; ask Mr. MASCARA his opinion. He was there when I first brought my baby home; couldn't keep his hands off it.
Silent Spring

Post by Silent Spring »

Anton Maiof wrote:Rob Papen's Predator also
NIs FM7
Great synths. I'm a big fan of the Tal Elec7ro freebie.
Silent Spring

Post by Silent Spring »

Guy I know is selling an MS20 if that floats anyones boat...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170737512762? ... 1040214471
Neurotic

Post by Neurotic »

Cool stuff. Got the Korg Collection VSTs myself, not really got room for much hardware and can't really stretch to justify the expense, and find myself using the MS20 one loads, usually turns up either as the lead bass or just a backup texture at some point. The Glitch plugin gets quite a bit of use too.

Hardware synth wise, I tend to run my Roland D20 through FX pedals and/or mess with it in the box. Very hard to work out how to program it but well worth persevering with.
http://soundcloud.com/dan-wreck
neuroticwreck.bandcamp.com
Mood music for moodswings.
Mcll

Post by Mcll »

Check out the GMEDIA impOSCar
www.vintagesynth.com/misc/imposcar.php

One of my go-to's in the virtual realm. Really great for glassy pads & really meaty bassline applications. Other than that, I always have at least one instance of Reaktor running in my tracks.

"Talkin' bout real synths, what would you prefer: korg ms2000s or microkorg xl ?"

MS2k-no comparison really. Based on the same synth engine, still the MS features like limited voice polophony and the filter & effects staging make it stand out for really nasty analog-ish synthesis. The microkorg always comes across more polished and designed to self-invent music with it's arps and specifically designed presets.

The real draw of the MS2k though is the virtual patching. Possibilities are endless. In tandem with the step sequencer you can really make some crazy patches that breath and writhe. Really brilliant VA for it's time.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

McII, welcome here!

Agreed on the virtual OSCar. Wish I could afford a real one!
Mcll

Post by Mcll »

Thanks man. Nice place you all have here.

I used to pine more for an actual OSCar, but after reading so much about maintenance and upkeep I am pretty discouraged. I have owned a lot of vintage gear through the years and it is a real pain when something breaks. I have had to use ARPs as bookends and EMAX's as doorstops..lol I just want to make music now :D I do not want to maintain a bunch of stuff.

Plus VST's have really come a long way. There is no sound that I cannot make with Reaktor.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

Agreed; I love Reaktor.

For me the ideal is a focused blend between analog and VST. Tweaking a virtual knob though will never be the same as a nice scratchy old pot; especially for those of us who are on computers all day.
Mcll

Post by Mcll »

Very true. I do not like to tweak individual parameters with a mouse. Which is another reason I love Reaktor. The MIDI learn is simple and I can assign everything to my Livid Block very easily.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

McII> Am sure you've seen this, right? http://touchdigitalcontrollers.co.uk/ Sick, but way expensive. That said, I think if you're going to charge several hundred dollars for a VST, at least include a custom controller for it.
Mcll

Post by Mcll »

Oh hell! That is killer!
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

+1 on the Korg legacy pack. And respect to them for only charging $50 per; with good emulations. Disrespect to Arturia who continue to rip people off.