Fruity Loops 10 - Witch House Newbie

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
∆LL D∆Y FE∆R

Fruity Loops 10 - Witch House Newbie

Post by ∆LL D∆Y FE∆R »

Hello everybody, I've only recently just discovered Witch House and I'm incredibly fascinated with it. I've been looking into doing some electronic production and I was going to try my hand with Dark Electro but as soon as I heard Witch House I'm on a mission to learn the ropes and hopefully create something others will enjoy!

I've now acquired Fruity Loops (my first DAW) and watching a few beginner tutorials about how to use it, I'm now starting to get the general idea - buuuuuuuuuttt - I have a dilemma for the actual sound of Witch House. What is the usual BPM for it? What are the essential effects and instruments I should use? How exactly do I start off with a basic Witch House melody and then expand upon it? As I said before it's my first DAW and this is my first actual attempt at producing electronic music, I have used Sony Acid before for school purposes but it's loop based.

*Also I know "Ewww Fruity loops" but it's the easiest entry level DAW I could find and I'm kind of strapped for cash haha*
Anton Maiof

Re: Fruity Loops 10 - Witch House Newbie

Post by Anton Maiof »

welcome to the board

here are some answers
What is the usual BPM for it?
Generally, there is not one. WH for all it's joys and pitfalls has always been an amalgamation of lots of different genres, only with a similar aesthetic. BPM wise you've everything from no tempo at all - to drag speed - to italo speed - to black metal speed.

Trapdoor by Salem is around 72bpm, almost certainly programmed at 144bpm. Star Magick by Ritualz is gabba speed.
What are the essential effects and instruments I should use?
there is not one. If it's that sound you want. Think about all the influences there are on the genre. Hip Hop, Dubstep, EBM, Cosmic Disco, Italo, Darkwave, Industrial, Krautrock, RnB, Modern Pop. There could be an argument that WH is synth heavy, but then Hip Hop isn't generally Synth Heavy. In the end ask the question: "Does it make a sound?" and then "Can I use it?"

If we're talking ESSENTIAL: You might want reverb.
How exactly do I start off with a basic Witch House melody and then expand upon it?
How does one make any melody? The most exciting thing about this genre is there are no reasonably defined limits within the aesthetic. Essentially, do you like it?

At this point just listen to music, listen to as much music as you can hear.

Music is a weird thing, you could be the most talented person on the planet but no one owes you a living from it, so you might as well experiment, make weird things because most of the time (outside of commissioned work as I sometimes do) you'll be making it for yourself and yourself only.

Hope this is some help and look forward to hearing some of it.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

For instruments, synths using a sawtooth wave are popular. Beats are often done with an 808 kit.

P.S. This may be helpful as well.
halcyon_silence

Post by halcyon_silence »

the best thing about witch house is as long as you have a certain "aesthetic/feeling" to your music, it can be any tempo/style you want really....compare oOoOO/Salem/Balam Acab/Holy Other/Ritualz/etc.

it all has a similar feeling, but musically it's very different...i've made witch house tracks at 66.666 BPM (lol) and others at ~130-140 BPM...as long as it's dark and hiphop/rnb/dubstep/pop/industrial/ambient/etc influenced it's all good!

and dont worry about using FL Studio, in my opinion every DAW is more or less equivalent if you have good VSTs/effects plug-ins and know how to use it!
Mcll

Post by Mcll »

"I was going to try my hand with Dark Electro but as soon as I heard Witch House I'm on a mission"

Ha! I think this is essentially what all the bands were trying to do. Make electro.hip hop while drinking cough syrup/smoking crack and watching Lucio Fulchi/Dario Argento films. I mean this all in the most respectful way though :D

The best way imo to delve into making this type of music is to start with the chopped/screwed approach. Take a great 80's synthpop or goth tune. Pitch it down, time shift it about, lay on some reverb maybe a slow flange. Take "Holding Out For A Hero", by Bonnie whatsit on the Footloose soundtrack. Great synths in that song, nice melodies and it is creepy as fuck to have that slowed down "I need a hero". You could also do it with old school hip-hop or gangsta rap. They all used analog drums sounds or samples, mean bass. Slow it sound and treat those sounds. Holy shit, it gets scary quick.

I am completly serious. Modern production is not fun to mess with, too clean, too precise. Too digital. The 80's and 90's all used sick vintage gear like the Yamaha DX's or the Roland SH's. I did a chop of Journey's Seperate Ways, that was an Ensoniq TS series. Awesome sounding synth. Sounds killer pitched down 6 semi-tones.

>>>>But here is the trick, you are not making a song for yourself. You are in the process of seeing what it takes to make a good song. You are deconstructing sound to see what makes it work. If you slow down an old 80's melody that really stick's in your head, you can pull it apart. Not my idea. I was taught this by COIL. Listen to Tainted Love. That was totally witch-house back when we all just called it industrial. Tape treatments, re-dubbing. Manipulating records. You take a track that was intended for another purpose, and change the perspective on it. A lot of the World Serpent bands used to take uplifting choir recordings and treat it to sound absolutely demonic. You can take a recording of a New Years Eve celebration and make it sound like a horror massacre. Cut it up, play it backwards. Throw in some delay or ring modulation. Experimentation is key. Once you have an idea how to deconstruct a song, you can rebuild something original. Put your own spin on it. Hope this helps.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

It's interesting to see the different generations into witch house. I imagine a good majority on this forum and elsewhere had never heard of Coil, World Serpent, and the like; so naturally have a different essence to bring. It was somewhat amusing when I posted an Ain Soph track on my Facebook profile the other day; none of the "witch house" people am sure (except maybe for one or two) have even heard of them. Yet they are one of the true occult music pioneers of the modern day. Well, until they lost their edge. Same for Tibet; re-discovered Christ. And Genesis, becoming transgender. For some, the black ice must break...
∆LL D∆Y FE∆R

Post by ∆LL D∆Y FE∆R »

Thank you all very much, I've taken everything you've all said and applying it at the moment. =)

Also Mcll I have a fairly large collection of 80's synthpop/goth songs! =)
Mcll

Post by Mcll »

@ADF-Cheers! Have fun, and let us know when you have something to share.

@Scythe- It is true what they say, those that do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it. Good call on the Ain Soph, I had not heard that name in a long time and had to break out those old albums :D
Paradise Lost

Post by Paradise Lost »

Anton Maiof wrote:Music is a weird thing, you could be the most talented person on the planet but no one owes you a living from it, so you might as well experiment, make weird things because most of the time (outside of commissioned work as I sometimes do) you'll be making it for yourself and yourself only.
So true. When I was doing this stuff 10 years ago, before there was a name for it. My only fan was my devoted girlfriend at the time. she made a point to collect every song and mix I ever did. I still hope to see her and get them or get them copied and post up here. My shit seemed better back then, because I'm struggling to re-learn my gear and all the new stuff I'm getting ahold of.. plus I was obsessed with it before and didn't have the life pressures of keeping a roof over my head, work and school. Really it's hard to stay focused on music right now. It's been a great escape and keeps me sane.
∆LL D∆Y FE∆R wrote:Hello everybody, I've only recently just discovered Witch House and I'm incredibly fascinated with it. I've been looking into doing some electronic production and I was going to try my hand with Dark Electro but as soon as I heard Witch House I'm on a mission to learn the ropes and hopefully create something others will enjoy!

I've now acquired Fruity Loops (my first DAW) and watching a few beginner tutorials about how to use it, I'm now starting to get the general idea - buuuuuuuuuttt - I have a dilemma for the actual sound of Witch House. What is the usual BPM for it? What are the essential effects and instruments I should use? How exactly do I start off with a basic Witch House melody and then expand upon it? As I said before it's my first DAW and this is my first actual attempt at producing electronic music, I have used Sony Acid before for school purposes but it's loop based.

*Also I know "Ewww Fruity loops" but it's the easiest entry level DAW I could find and I'm kind of strapped for cash haha*
Hello!

First I want to commend you because of the obvious excitement that you have for the music of others and the prospect of your own tunes. The great thing about Witch house and lofi goth stuff is there really isn't any rules. Start your songs however you want. Forget words like "essential" and "usual". With electronic music in general, computers are cheap, it's easy to find any software if you know where to look. This is a recipe for a million of us that are making/ attempting to make electronic based music. I would say the only essential thing is try to be as creative as possible and always attempt to do something fresh.

Now while you are trying to get a feel for it. I would suggest taking a simple song that you love and trying to re-create it. Watch all the video tutorials you can find on the software that you are using, study the user guides/ manuals. Study music theory. Bunch of websites that help with that. Listen to a lot of different types of electronic music for inspiration. The brilliant thing about witch house is the crossover of so many genres. The more you incorporate into your work, most likely the more versatile and unique artist you will turn into.. Most importantly, no plagerism and and have fun.

I have a dance music dj/ production background/ play the drums/ drum machines, so if you have any questions on making beats. I'm no expert, however I should be able to help some. Feel free to pm me.

Good luck!