instruments

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
nevva

instruments

Post by nevva »

can anyone recommend some good instruments or programs for making witch house?
i have just been using an m audio usb/midi controller and programming drums and bass with it to set beats, then doing synth rhythm and melody lines over.

i know white ring uses the akai MPK49 but does anyone know some solid choices?
T U N D R A

Re: instruments

Post by T U N D R A »

Are you looking for MIDI controllers? Virtual instruments? Hardware synths?

A lot of people use the MPK49. It's just a MIDI controller.
nevva

Post by nevva »

midi controller preferably and a program with a nice set of tones/virtual instruments to work with.
T U N D R A

Post by T U N D R A »

If you're using Ableton Live, get a Novation Launchpad or Akai APC40 or APC20. You won't regret it.

Otherwise, if you're looking for a keyboard, I'd suggest anything by Novation. They make the highest quality MIDI keyboards in my opinion. I've owned several and they've always worked and help up very well.

As far as virtual instruments, if you get either Ableton Live 8 or Suite 8 you get a few really nice instruments to play with. Propellerhead Reason also has a TON of built in instruments, samplers, etc. However, if you want probably the best software instruments (and also the most widely used across the electronic music spectrum), just get Native Instruments Komplete. You might flinch at the price immediately, but trust me when I saw it's 100% worth it.
<<_[]_>_>>

Post by <<_[]_>_>> »

the best advice i can give anyone starting to delve into a new genre (or even diving into music production for the first time) is figure it out yourself and don't be afraid of initial failure or frustration. i personally use several software combinations and do my own recording and sampling through a M-Audio FastTrackPro interface. i wouldn't recommend any particular equipment or program: it's better to figure out with whatcha got.

for synths, i record midi (simply using my keyboard for triggering notes) using Acid Pro 5 w/ Massive by Native Instruments. i've downloaded and cracked all of my programs and i have a POS old toshiba laptop so there's a decent amount of crashing, lagging and general bullshit to deal w/ using my set up, so it's not hard to stumble upon a better set-up.

for sample editing and basic arrangement, i use Cool Edit Pro 2.1. for those unfamiliar, this is the program that became Audition when Adobe bought it. Cool Edit Pro 2.1 has everything i need to edit and add effects to samples so there's really no use to the added bells and whistles and other horseshit in Audition.

i know a lot of people who have been using other programs like Reason and Fruity Loops, but there's really no sense in throwing yourself into those programs unless you've already been using them for production in other realms of electronic music.

i've fooled around w/ making really cheesy lo-fi DrAg w/ a Casio RZ-1 drum machine and a cheap-o keyboard through a busted old Univox practice amp (torn cone, but despite the torn cone and quietness, it actually has a tube reverb unit and a pretty sick tremelo.) however, given the opportunity to play live, i would never use this set up because it's too limited. i would suggest posting up at a second-hand music store regularly to look for drum machines and keyboards that fit the type of sound you're interested incorporating in your ensemble.

get to it!
||ø||
honeycrippen12

Post by honeycrippen12 »

Hi guys...nice info. Well i also prefer midi controller.

Cheer!!!!

Magic Sing
killsaly

Post by killsaly »

You are only limited by your imagination. the Novation Xiosynth is a good choice, not only is it a great midi controller AND an audio interface, but its also a hardware/standalone synth. Even without getting into the massive editing capabilities, you have a witch house synth right out the box. Good pads, harsh leads, and fat basses abound in the presets. For drums (and most the arrangements now) I use a NI Maschine, which is great. Throw on the 808 kit, crank the volume till it clips, distort everything, etc. The NI is also good for melodies or basslines, or for sample playing. I also use Acid Pro 5 and love it! My soft synth of choice is the Z3TA, which definitely could produce some ghoulishly good tones.
<<_[]_>_>>

Post by <<_[]_>_>> »

troof. acid pro 5 is pretty good. i started using acid when Acid Pro 2 came out (when i was a mere tike arranging stock loops) and i've never liked an arrangement software better than that series. i honestly have been zonin' on 5 for a long time and haven't really delved into the later editions, but i only use it for arrangement, EQ and very basic effects processing. the level meter has always been a tad untrustworthy, but it really does sound dope when samples are way blown-out.

if you got your computer memory and HD space games proper, just have at whatever soft synths you can get your hands on. my main problem w/ that was finding an interface i was comfortable with. Massive by N.I. was the first one i came across, but was somewhat intimidated by it. after trying a few others, i returned to Massive and tried my hand at it and it ended up working out pretty well.

most of my tracks are just heavily manipulated samples. i often use pitch-shifted recordings of feedback tones from my guitar as synths or layer several for pads. even the hum of any motorized household appliance can be manipulated for pretty rad results.

some of my best work was recorded w/ a Boss SP-202 and a 4-track tape recorder. it's up to you, breh.
||ø||