musical theory for dummies.

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
LOG▲N

musical theory for dummies.

Post Posted

would reading this help me in making witch house? lately i've been trying to make witch house and i just cant do it....i've only made one song and it was 1:26 and it got all positive feedback wherever i posted it but i want to make more and it feels like now i cant and im hopeless. i really need help..
i'm a terrible person.
charlux

Re: musical theory for dummies.

Post Posted

Ok, well first off knowing music theory is always a good thing, it will help you compose better, but knowing it wont help you produce better. I mean there are a lot of good tunes out there that aren't composition masterpieces, Burial comes to mind, I mean, a lot of his tunes aren't orchestral grade compositions but the production is amazing. And it's usually not the composition that hinders me in a tune, it's setting up good sounding drums, pads, soundscapes, whatever, that inspire me to compose. You should try starting a project without even worrying about the composition. Make some cool percussion and soundscapes. And once you have something you like add a simple bass line or a simple chord progression, that you can later make more complex, if you so desire.
For me, I know I will finish a project if the song feels like it's writing itself. If you have been working on a project for days and have been struggling and getting frustrated, just forget the bitch and move on! For real, lately I have been starting five or six projects a day and I haven't finished one of them. And After a day or so, those projects are dead to me, not worth my time, and I keep on moving. Man, Ive been stuck too lately, ever since I finished my EP a few weeks ago, I have not been able to make anything good, because I poured my soul into those tracks, and I need to take it easy and recoup.

Also, one more thing..listen to ALOT of music, and not just witch, listen to all sort of different music for inspiration. The worst thing you can do is listen to witch strictly and hope to produce something unique. Try not to let your favourite artists inspire you too much, find out who inspires them! :D

Sorry, perhaps none of that rant made sense, but hopefully it did.
FURTHER

Re: musical theory for dummies.

Post Posted

I found it pretty useful, something that I've dipped in and out of. I'm sure if I spent a bit more time reading it my stuff would be better, but like anything, I enjoy the process more than the theory.