Making witch house

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
TheLonging

Making witch house

Post Posted

Any advice? I've been wanting to make this but I don't know where to start. Obviously there is a lot of different paths I could take but how can I put my foot in the water?
viv

Re: Making witch house

Post Posted

this could be a good thread, I've got pipedreams to make music myself - it'd be interesting to hear how people make the music they do.

I'm thinking of using Ableton live ( like a small cheap edition ) or Reaper.
Notes from the Vomitorium - Amerkaji Meme - Feynmans Echo - Pyrrhic Victories

♏ ♏ℯ ⅉ⨑ ץ◍ữ ɲℯℯđ ⍴ℾ◍-⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ - ⅉ ặ♏ ặ ⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ ƨ✞ữđⅉ◍ ℬ◍◍kⅉɲℊ ặℊℯɲ✞
Weed&Witch

Post Posted

I'm curious too!
St Brother

Post Posted

FL STUDIO
K_Dub

Post Posted

Got to use fruitys 4 all ur beatz bruv. I'm a bit of an Ableton fanboy and if your doing Witch House they're best for mental timestretching and manipulating audio files in my opinion. Logic's the other big DAW which is great if your more into MIDI programming and synth based stuff.
T U N D R A

Post Posted

Okay, as someone who's produced music for some time (witch house and otherwise) and currently teaches audio production/recording, this kind of topic is right up my alley...

Rule #1. Use what you're comfortable with!

Download trials, cracks, whatever - try different software until you find the one you love. There is no definitive answer. You just have to try out different stuff and see what works. I use Ableton Live for ALL my productions but use Pro Tools for multi-track recording (recording bands) and ALL my mixing/mastering needs.

Other popular choices: Cubase, FL Studio, Logic

Rule #2. Don't be overwhelmed by gear!

People will tell you to buy X MIDI controller or Y audio interface: when you're starting, stick with the basics. Get a cheap-ish USB soundcard and a basic M-Audio MIDI controller and run with it. If you stick with it, you can upgrade later.

Rule #3: Don't get overwhelmed by plug-ins, either

It's too easy to pirate plug-ins via Torrents, etc. Do yourself a favor, though: don't rush out and download every VST you can find instantly. Play with stock plug-ins/instruments first and THEN start to expand. Getting into too much too early can really dampen your creativity.

Rule #4: Don't try and sound like X artist

You should be creating the music YOU like, not what you think other people will like. Don't focus on sounding like SALEM, oOoOO, Balam Acab, etc. Just write music and see what comes out. You'll develop your workflow and certain production habits and techniques over time. If you sit down and say "Okay, I'm going to do a White Ring style track today," you'll probably end up hating the results because it WON'T sound like White Ring.

And, lastly: it's a marathon, not a sprint. This stuff takes serious time. Some people go to college just to learn the basics, most don't. Ask questions, work hard, and it'll pay off if you're serious.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

What Ben said.

Another Ableton fan here (try the 30-day free trial). But it's only the beginning. Love NI Komplete, especially Reaktor. Insane otherwordly sounds and tweakability.

Have fun with samples, but try to create your own loops from instruments (virtual or not) and individual elements. Much harder, but much more satisfying.

I love Novation hardware; for instance the SL MkII and Launchpad.

Be ready to lose hours, days, weeks of your life in this!
killsaly

Post Posted

Reaper is great as a DAW, and very reasonably priced.
viv

Post Posted

wow - some really sage advice here, cheers guys
Notes from the Vomitorium - Amerkaji Meme - Feynmans Echo - Pyrrhic Victories

♏ ♏ℯ ⅉ⨑ ץ◍ữ ɲℯℯđ ⍴ℾ◍-⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ - ⅉ ặ♏ ặ ⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ ƨ✞ữđⅉ◍ ℬ◍◍kⅉɲℊ ặℊℯɲ✞
DCΞL

Post Posted

noob/lurker here...

1) Big +1 on Reaper.
2) This sound is still wonderfully vague, so - try and avoid bringing any formulas to the table so we can keep it that way.
3) Keep it simple. Restraint speaks volumes.

PS: Killsaly, just listened to a mix of yours on Mixcloud.... liked it a lot.
killsaly

Post Posted

Thanks! Ive been doing those for fun at night, probably should be spending more time producing.
0hPeee

Post Posted

at the moment i'm using an mpc and kaoss pad, arranging in garageband.
I††

Post Posted

Don't forget Audacity. It is a great free program to learn the basics of just playing with sounds.
I have played with a lot of DAWs, but I almost always keep Audacity handy because it has a super easy interface to work with.
DCΞL

Post Posted

Audacity is a wonderful (and free) complement to Reaper; Audacity for wave editing and Reaper for sequencing/arranging. They're both good for live recording too if you've got a decent soundcard.

If this subject's been broached before then pls. ignore, but... any thoughts about a Production forum here?
T U N D R A

Post Posted

As a studio nerd, I like the idea of a Production forum.