Group Project

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
Anton Maiof

Group Project

Post Posted

So, I've been doing some experiments today whilst making a new mixtape, running everything at 120/60bpm (or around that) be it juke, italo disco, witchhouse, drag, detroit techno (generally this means running things a lot slower) and I got to thinking.

One of the defining qualities of a lot of modern dance music is somekind of set bpm - DNB - 180bpm, Dubstep 140bpm, Juke 160bpm, presumably this is to make it easier to DJ with, but that aside a friend of mine set up a project called 111 which was call outs for the dubstep community to produce tracks at 111bpm - http://one11bpm.com/

anyone else interested in defining something in a set bpm? contributing to a group of tracks?

at this point it is discussion, speed is set / style is up to the writer.

But as there are a few people who produce stuff on here I thought it might be a fun exercise.

I tried to do this a few years ago by starting discussions on a style which I called 'minimal disco' this wasn't a take on minimal techno, but more of an application of minamalist compositional ideas onto disco-esque music and all I got was flak from people saying it was anti-art and the like. I disagreed with that, working within specific rules can be a enjoyable and productive exercise.

Anyway. What do people think?
viv

Re: Group Project

Post Posted

this sounds interesting, I recently sampled an old cLOUDDEAD track.... found it worked out at 82/1641!?!

Sounds interesting though, I need to learn how to stretch my stuff to fit though.
Notes from the Vomitorium - Amerkaji Meme - Feynmans Echo - Pyrrhic Victories

♏ ♏ℯ ⅉ⨑ ץ◍ữ ɲℯℯđ ⍴ℾ◍-⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ - ⅉ ặ♏ ặ ⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ ƨ✞ữđⅉ◍ ℬ◍◍kⅉɲℊ ặℊℯɲ✞
DCΞL

Post Posted

:lol:

The fixed BPM thing is totally a DJ-ism: I'm always railing about the tyranny of 140 in dubstep and how I like it heavier, slower... (there's a time & place for all BPMs... speaking of juke. 8-) )

But honestly - most genres are defined by their limitations. Take away palm-muted guitar and distortion and it's not metal, it's just rock... or move the accent notes around and watch the song change from reggae to mariachi just like that.

Anyone who argues that stylistic delineations are anti-art is a moron: the challenge is to let the limitations liberate you.

Anyway, I'm down for this idea. Make the BPM an okkvlt number like 66.6 though, OK?
killsaly

Post Posted

im down. what bpm?
viv

Post Posted

BPM an okkvlt number like 66.6 though, OK

such a great idea
Notes from the Vomitorium - Amerkaji Meme - Feynmans Echo - Pyrrhic Victories

♏ ♏ℯ ⅉ⨑ ץ◍ữ ɲℯℯđ ⍴ℾ◍-⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ - ⅉ ặ♏ ặ ⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ ƨ✞ữđⅉ◍ ℬ◍◍kⅉɲℊ ặℊℯɲ✞
K_Dub

Post Posted

Good thoughts, I'd be up for this, definitely pick a wierder tempo tho. Chuck it down to 40 and get really mong :p Interesting point about why most po/rock is 120 tho, a tutor at my uni swears that it's because it is the same pulse as your resting heartbeat.
Anton Maiof

Post Posted

I like the 66.6 idea. It's trashy enough a concept ;)
0hPeee

Post Posted

i like the idea of some kind of group project. i was going to suggest a forum compilation. i've seen the likes of dubstep forums doing this and it's been quite effective. just a free download or whatever.

i also really like the 111bpm thing. i wanted to do that once, but either missed the boat, or forgot... until now.

66.6 bpm sounds cool. cheesy but appropriate.
although i don't think i can get decimal points on garageband.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

A forum compilation is a good idea.

Regarding BPM, I think the type of beat is more a defining quality than frequency of beats. Compare breakbeat to house to techno to hiphop to rock. Also what elements are involved? In other words, simple kicks and hihats? Or are there claps, rims, snares, bells, etc.? And what effects are being used on each of these elements? It's amazing how a simple kick and hihat can sound completely different depending on what type of compression/filtering/delay is being used.
Anton Maiof

Post Posted

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:A forum compilation is a good idea.

Regarding BPM, I think the type of beat is more a defining quality than frequency of beats. Compare breakbeat to house to techno to hiphop to rock. Also what elements are involved? In other words, simple kicks and hihats? Or are there claps, rims, snares, bells, etc.? And what effects are being used on each of these elements? It's amazing how a simple kick and hihat can sound completely different depending on what type of compression/filtering/delay is being used.
the only thing that worries me about having a defined beat is the trap of things starting to sound the same, that said I'm quite in favour of having some kind of bizarre rule like : no hi hats / metal based percussion for example.
0hPeee

Post Posted

what about a forum compilation, but no musical restrictions, just some kind of abstract theme? could be a word... a book... a movie... something else..
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

Anton> Great idea. Or what about just metal percussion? Or stick to an 808 kit? Or synth only rhythm?

Peee> A theme sounds good; kind of like The Twin Peaks releases that Phantasma Disques is putting out. My track Kölskì is all about the devil; including samples from the Church captain himself, Anton LaVey. A tribute to Satan may be fun. ;)
WIK/\N

Post Posted

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:Anton> Great idea. Or what about just metal percussion? Or stick to an 808 kit? Or synth only rhythm?

Peee> A theme sounds good; kind of like The Twin Peaks releases that Phantasma Disques is putting out. My track Kölskì is all about the devil; including samples from the Church captain himself, Anton LaVey. A tribute to Satan may be fun. ;)

one word . . . "Crowley"
▲▲▲ http://soundcloud.com/wik-n ▲▲▲

▲▲▲ http://wikan.bandcamp.com ▲▲▲

▲▲▲ http://www.facebook.com/THEWIKAN ▲▲▲
Anton Maiof

Post Posted

so how about we change the rules for each edition?

What will make it easier for each 'round' so to speak is someone chooses the drum palette and theme and any other rules they would like to add. The only thing that is steadfast is the 66.6bpm tempo, those who cannot do decimal points in their sequencer I'm sure another forum member would be able to speed the track up if you produce at 66bpm.

As this is Zin's pleasuredome, I would nominate him for the first decision. But of course this is also open for debate.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

A Crowley theme would be great!