Grimes - Visions (Something funny on iTunes)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Technoctopus

Grimes - Visions (Something funny on iTunes)

Post Posted

This is the album review for visions-
Album Review-
Though the term "witch house" is often thrown around too loosely (and often derisively), Grimes' wispy vocals and four-on-the-floor beats are probably the closest to what the style would sound like if its name were taken literally. On Visions, Claire Boucher develops the unmistakable sound she forged on Geidi Primes and Halfaxa, where her songs hovered in space one moment and hit the dancefloor in the next. The baby-ghost vocalizing that was so distinctive and divisive there is here as well, and Boucher sounds especially like an alien pop princess on sparkly tracks like "Infinite Love Without Fulfillment," "Genesis," and "Eight," where she's shadowed by robotic backing vocals. While Visions' songs are still largely free from obvious structures — "Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)" segues into a minor-key passage like a dream turning dark — Boucher has learned the values of space and control, and gives more focus to her ethereal whimsy. While the glowing, sensuous "Skin" and "Know the Way" are fine examples of 2010s dream pop, unlike many of her contemporaries, Grimes' most danceable songs are her most unique, and allow her to draw on many different influences and sounds. "Be a Body" boasts a surprisingly funky bassline, and on "Circumambient," the song's shadowy R&B leanings are only heightened when Boucher busts out a super-soprano trill that would do Syreeta or Minnie Riperton proud. Similarly, her nods to '80s pop never feel too slavishly indebted to that decade, even when she uses stiff synth string stabs on "Oblivion" or frosty Casios on "Vowels = Space and Time," or lets "Colour of Moonlight (Antiochus)" ride on a beat that sounds borrowed from "When Doves Cry." Instead, these retro winks end up bringing out the darkly rhapsodic, kinetic heart of Grimes' music as much as the Asian-tinged melodies, harps, and operatic samples she uses elsewhere. Fresh and surprisingly accessible despite its quirks, Visions is bewitching.

I just found it funny that they say the term witch house is thrown around loosely because I don't really hear anyone use the term witch house much less "throw it around".
Also it says "Grimes' wispy vocals and four-on-the-floor beats are probably the closest to what the style would sound like if its name were taken literally"
Which I think that statement is total bullshit and itunes thinks a little too highly of its self when reviewing albums and talking about shit they don't have a god damn clue about...
Anyways ranting over with
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
FURTHER

Re: Grimes - Visions (Something funny on iTunes)

Post Posted

The review for this album in todays Metro (a free paper placed on buses in major UK cities, and Wolverhampton) also used the Witch House tag. They must have read this review.

If the Metro ever did review any Witch House, I'd eat my cat.
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that Metro article... Also: THIS ALBUM IS NOT WITCH HOUSE. It's a but of a #duh moment, but srs lazy bloggers is lazy.
twinvessel

Post Posted

I would say her first two albums Geidi Primes and Halifaxa definitely has a connection to "witchhaus", with both the darkwave influences, use of unicodes, and various esoterica themes. It might not have slowed southern trap beats or too much drone, but I think it fits in there.

I absolutely LOVE her Crystal Ball video/song, this shoulda been on the new album. That style she has going on in there
alone is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bWmLFaJA-Q
cutups

Post Posted

Anybody who thinks Grimes is "witch house if taken literally" knows nothing at all about house music,
and clearly has only read other mis-informed people's take on "witch house".

That aside, i do dig this record.