JJ Brine - President of Mozambique (2012)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
twinvessel

Re: Almost witch house? New witch house? Is this witch house or whaaat ; P

Post Posted

I think a LOT of newerish acts are being roped into the witch house arena and are kind of just like "um, ok".
The only reason the 2010 movement seemed to have coaleased together was because a bunch of artists seemed to be doing something strange and dark within the indie music underground even if they weren't sharing the specific Salem trap drag vibe. oOoOO and Holy Other are both doing slightly dark/detuned r and b pop music, AIMON is doing abrasive dark industrial electro, Balam Acab is more trip hop. But they all got roped into this "witch house" tent. Pictureplane isnt even remotely witch house, other than the early 90's street style that became popular.

I totally get what JJ Brine is doing. While Im not at all into the Manson fetishizing, I see a definite late 70's/early 80's
New York art-wave meets British post punk vibe going on. Anyone familiar with Colin Newman's brilliant A-Z album, Brian Eno or early Talking Heads will know what Im talking about. It's not 'difficult' like harsh and abrasive experimental witch house. It's not difficult like musically all over the place cutup pieces. It's just 'difficult' in that the vibe/odd pop sound
he's doing isn't really being done by anyone by now. I have no idea who the audience is for it, but Im glad JJ Brine exists.
"Illuminati" is a freaking brilliant track and video.
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

@twinvessel: not sure if you only read about this 2010 movement or if you were part of it - as you appeared here suddenly like a phoenix in 2012 I'm sure you only read about.

In 2010 witch house was not really a music genre, it was a term that contained dark sytles such as drag, ghost drone, zombie rave etc combined with a certain visual aestethic (all that goth rip-off etc visuals appeared later in 2011 as people wanted to jump on).

You now describing oOoOO, Balam Acab etc as trip hop etc is a 2012 sight of view - in 2010 there were only one or two tracks on their myspace. Bands labeled as Witch House in 2010 were mostly bands under Disaro which contained (released or unreleased)

First Wave (late 2009/early 2010)

Salem
GrillGrill
Mater Suspiria Vision
Modern Witch
Horse MacGyver (///▲▲▲\\\)
Balam Acab
oOoOO
White Ring
moon (totally disappeared btw)

Second Wave (mid 2010)

Pregnancy Pact
†‡†
Fostercare
ÐOSE

most of these sounds appeared as weird dark sounds not comparable to other main genres. That's why people called it witch house.

the witch house term got more and more popular in january 2010 around the video release of Mater Suspiria Vision's Exorcism of the Hippies.

In february/march media still avoided using the term witch house and wanted to call it drag (which actually only is a subgenre)
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

Phantasma Disques wrote: moon (totally disappeared btw)
ha! I was actually searching for some info about MOON like a week ago :)
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Moon+%2819%29

he did a couple of rmxs for Party Trash and Raw Moans a goooooood while back.

to the list you made (2nd wave) I'd also add dir†ypride, xix, μnłıłĿΞΔ (currently as u r e t h r a t e e t h), ▲ (who did mostly slowed down edits), ✝NO VIRGIN✝, GuMMy†Be▲R!, Ʌ and Dream Boat. plus maybe a few more.
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

moon also made one track with butterclock on vocals around may 2010 - these bands above seem for me already as the 3rd wave when it started getting lost in overview and ASCII exploitation
camelvianeedle

Post Posted

hahaha this is my favorite thing he has done yet, along with Illuminati of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81A_lT5LEc
camelvianeedle

Post Posted

If this isn't witch house, I don't know what is:

http://soundcloud.com/jjbrine/elevator
ThreePyramids

Post Posted

http://soundcloud.com/jjbrine/sets/pres ... mozambique

Sounds like a mix of DarkWave with retro and experimental pop electronica elements.
ThreePyramids

Post Posted

camelvianeedle wrote:If this isn't witch house, I don't know what is:

http://soundcloud.com/jjbrine/elevator

WHAT IS THAT BAND?
houseofwitch

Post Posted

AAAA his Last.fm bio is the best one I've ever read for any artist, period.

http://www.last.fm/music/JJ+Brine

JJ Brine is a singer, visual artist and actor based in NY who is possessed by The Devil. Satan led him to coin the term “Electronic Spirit Music”, or ESM for short, an ethereally cinematic sonic account of a fragmented soul in various states of possession. Indeed, Lucifer indicated that he had a twin sister “Chloe” who he should summon from across the spinning astral planes into the temporal realm by means of vocal transformers. His critically=acclaimed debut album PRESIDENT OF MOZAMBIQUE (DrugLord Records, 2012) is a character-driven meditation on power and its precepts, the reproduction of rite and ritual as ceremonial war mantras, supporting various factions of Hell. He is currently portraying vile criminal overlords in various B-movies and serving a broader Illuminati conspiracy in The LaBiancas, in which he worships Charles Manson as Jesus Christ alongside bandmate and sister/coreligionist Lena Marquise. They are doing so in order to usher in a New World Order in which all symbols and values will be inverted, thus laying to waste all that is, for the age of what is not.
drugs!
mmmmmmmm

Post Posted

to clarify, my original comments reflected a negative experience I had with JJ Brines music, videos and footage of live performances. My main point and focus had to do with what I feel is a contrived sound. The music sounds very much from the head and not the heart. It seems overly conceptual and capitalistic which to me translates to something I would consider fake, or otherwise done for the wrong reasons. Aside from that I found at least one song pleasant, but the rest of the material was intolerable.

This brings up a subject that is the "3rd Wave" of bandwagon jumpers, people who are not otherwise occult in their expression, look, beliefs, etc, making music that is out of character for them because it's becoming more popular. These people are co-opting and not at all genuine in their approach. Usually I can sniff that out pretty easily. You can hear it in the music. When there is a lack of true belief and feeling, a lack of emotion and dedication to what is at the heart of the sound, the music suffers and ends up having this forced, contrived and half-assed emptiness. The artists usually overcompensate with an elaborate use of story and theme that doesn't really measure up to the music itself and is not an honest representation of who they really are as artists.
#missinglink
D3∆†hh CvL†

Post Posted

I Agree with you M.
as for Jj brine

the only song I "enjoy"
is this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2YT4wOzdo
its not like enjoy its only something in the melody dont really know who to explain...