Balam Acab - See Birds EP (2010)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Balam Acab - See Birds EP (2010)

Post by zin »

1. See Birds (Moon)
2. Regret Making Mistakes
3. Big Boy
4. Dream Out
5. See Birds (Sun)

First Tri Angle release... Anyone knows HOW I can actually buy it ? There's no link on the label's website/myspace...
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Balam Acab - See Birds EP (2010)

Post by zin »

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/329625-balam-acab-see-birds-ep
To say we've been waiting for this one would be a pretty big understatement. This is the debut release from two of the most exciting prospects in 2010, Drag House generator Balam Acab and Robin Carolan-ov-XXJFG's hugely anticipated Tri Angle records. As has been documented pretty much everywhere from Pitchfork to the Guardian, Balam Acab make tormented, ghoulish pop laden with mystic imagery and an unheimlich awareness of underground hiphop movements. It's entirely the work of Ithaca-based college student Alec Koone, making reference to the bewitching pop of Drag elders Salem but also genuinely worthy of comparisons to Burial, albeit at a sumptuously screwed Fug-hop tempo. 'See Birds (moon)' is the addictive opener, an exquisitely ethereal experience centred around two pitchbent voices in a ghostly call and response mode set to codeine slow R'n'B bumps. The creaking 'Regret Making Mistakes' follows, working the drowsy intangibility of Forest Swords into an affected chamber pop gem, and then there's the smudged synth glow of 'Dream Out', a genius piece of work perhaps imaging Grouper in a deep dubstep swoon. Whatever the comparisons though, Balam Acab has created something without direct precedent, which considerately, and intuitively, feels like a logical sidestep in the right direction. Watch out for this label, big things are afoot.
http://www.normanrecords.com/records/119039
Man this is some deep stuff, Balam Acab are a strange and mysterious entity. This EP is out on emerging Brooklyn-based label Tri Angle so they might be New Yorkers but I couldn't say for sure. What I do know is that this is some seriously spaced out, dub inspired jammage. Musically it sits somewhere between dubstep and drone whilst touching on some of the ideas presented by chillwave, glow-fi and all that bizzle. On first listen it reminds me of High Places due to it's blatant dub/reggae influence merging with the atmospherics of ambient synth pop yet 'See Birds' takes it to a whole new level. The vocals are drifting echoes, beats are reverb heavy but present and tranquil, ghostly synths and electronics provide texture and support the ambience of the vocal delivery and yet I'd still consider this dance music, slow dance music but dance music never the less. It's fun in a bonged out of your mind kinda way and will most certainly intrigue those of you interested in the further developments of this emerging ambient pop sound we are hearing so much of recently. Real tasteful stuff.
http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/produc ... 71261.html
Say hello to Tri Angle - a new imprint brought to us from the fine folks at one of our favourite regions of the netherworld, 20jazzfunkgreats. Tri Angle bring us a whole new set of genre names from over the Pond; ghoststep, witch house and drag (no, I'm not making them up!), and are destined to deliver the serene and sinister to your ears, kicking off with this rather wonderful five tracker from Balam Acab. This is shoegazer with a wonky, dubstep influence at its heart, a kind of post-goth smack-ambience that'll send you into woozy cotton wool-wrapped sleep. In fact I struggled to guess the speed of the tracks when doing the MP3s and had to check that actually they are THAT slow (yes, they are). With forthcoming releases from the likes of oOoOO, Slava and female supergroup Creep, Tri Angle looks like a label to keep an eye on for a whole new scene that's just been lurking out of the corner of your eye...
james mandible

Post by james mandible »

haven't heard the whole thing yet but I've liked what I've heard
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

It's not real witch house to be honest, the record sets itself somewhere between hip-hop influenced beats, ambient and hazy downtempo. All slowed and screwed up. My vinyl came yesterday :D
jeff mangum

Post by jeff mangum »

Stoked that you just linked my local record store piccadilly records there! This EP is fuckwin.
symbols n shit

Post by symbols n shit »

Please, please, PLEASE be THE Jeff Mangum.
Ratpick

Post by Ratpick »

Holy shit, this is really good.
Kroce

Post by Kroce »

From Balam Acab's facebook
since i'm actually liking how my music sounds today, here's an EP i made when i was 16 that only my friends have heard: http://www.mediafire.com/?13u4
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

uploaded it to YT as part of out WITCH HOUSE ON VINYL series:

ACITYASLEEP

Re: Balam Acab

Post by ACITYASLEEP »

Finally found See Birds vinyl locally. I've worn that EP in "record" time.
STRFLL

Post by STRFLL »

ACITYASLEEP wrote: September 5th, 2023, 3:27 pm Finally found See Birds vinyl locally. I've worn that EP in "record" time.
Same for me, found Wander / Wonder when I was in Helsinki lmao