Any local witch house scenes?

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
T U N D R A

Re: Any local witch house scenes?

Post by T U N D R A »

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:Respect to Marco; great guy. Met him at a recent Pendu party in Brooklyn. I had the feeling he was integral to the scene out there.

I hate to say this, but I've seen Chris DJ twice and was severely disappointed with his sets. Bad hip-hop, cheesy pop, etc. He literally cleared the dance floor at the S!CK party in NYC last weekend. Believe me when I say I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Love him as a producer though; amazingly talented.
Floor clearing happens, but not in SF. People will literally rage to anything - it's unlike anything I've seen before.

Last 120 Min, some special out-of-country DJ (who did visuals, too) played a set of straight up Top 40 club hip-hop anthems - people loved it. Then, Todd Pendu came up and spun nothing but early hardcore / insane rave shit. Nobody left the floor at all.

To be honest, I've yet to see oOoOO DJ. I'd love to, though.
Anton Maiof

Post by Anton Maiof »

Koe wrote:@Anton Maiof
I thought the Gegen party here was great to be honest.
I really dug the mix of the main downstairs techno room and chilled upstairs "wh" area.

Then again, I like techno.
I'm not against techno and certainly have nothing against the Gegen people. I see the passion they have for the aesthetics and I admire them. For me in this city you don't need to try very hard to go to a techno party, for that reason I don't go out very often unless the night has the potential to offer me something I can't find elsewhere.

I probably shouldn't have moved to the techno capital of europe really... ;)

however. if you're here and i'm here... we should do something
Technoctopus

Post by Technoctopus »

I know that where I live theres a small scene happening but most of it is at its very early stages and not very good yet
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
daterape

Post by daterape »

oh i wish, no one seems to come to australia as far as i can tell..... maybe if i was in sydney?
Once, cold held up her whole world ∴
http://daterape.bandcamp.com/
http://daterapemusic.com
0hPeee

Post by 0hPeee »

daterape wrote:oh i wish, no one seems to come to australia as far as i can tell..... maybe if i was in sydney?
where are you? i don't think there's much in sydney.

a friend started a club night in melbourne called Ghost House, but it only lasted a couple weeks. it was pretty early on in the story though, maybe too early. there's a regular night here (Perth) called Rose but it didn't have a great turn out the night i played - apprently they've had more on other nights. that's just DJing though. the only "live" gigs i've played were either with experimental/drone acts, or straight up hardcore/punk bands.

EDIT: also, your music is great.
Koe

Post by Koe »

Anton Maiof wrote: I'm not against techno and certainly have nothing against the Gegen people. I see the passion they have for the aesthetics and I admire them. For me in this city you don't need to try very hard to go to a techno party, for that reason I don't go out very often unless the night has the potential to offer me something I can't find elsewhere.

For sure! I'm putting on this V O I D party with Cosmotropia de Xam + Jewels of the Nile.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=163904373665653

We should have a chat if you get a chance to make it down =)
Anton Maiof

Post by Anton Maiof »

Koe wrote:
Anton Maiof wrote: I'm not against techno and certainly have nothing against the Gegen people. I see the passion they have for the aesthetics and I admire them. For me in this city you don't need to try very hard to go to a techno party, for that reason I don't go out very often unless the night has the potential to offer me something I can't find elsewhere.

For sure! I'm putting on this V O I D party with Cosmotropia de Xam + Jewels of the Nile.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=163904373665653

We should have a chat if you get a chance to make it down =)
ah so that is you! Unfortunately I am in the UK when that is happening, it is the 10 year anniversary of my noisecore group in may so we're having a few concerts to celebrate 10 years of unstable line ups, failure and immense unpopularity.

I'll send you a PM :)
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

The problem with NYC is that there's too much going on. On any given night there are usually several great options. So parties oftentimes fight for people. Too many occasions when great DJs/artists come to town only to play to a lackluster crowd. We're certainly spoiled here compared to the rest of the country. I only get jealous of London (dubstep) and LA (goth/industrial); but would love to see the Berlin techno scene.

P.S. I lived in SF for 4 years but was not impressed (other than the mountains and salads). Would have loved to know you Ben and Marco whilst out there though! Seems like you got some good vibes going.

Tonight I've got Arc, Mascara, Dream Boat... and a Pendu party with Funerals, Jewels of the Nile, and Butterclock. Don't mean to rub it in. ;)
Koe

Post by Koe »

To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the NYC scene.
The parties all seemed to close really early and seemed a bit "tame".

I had fun at FILTH... But there was only really one track I can recall that impressed me and the mixing left a lot to be desired. The music was great at Wierd and I had a lot of fun. But there's countless parties like that here in Berlin that probably do it a bit better.

I was only there pretty briefly though, and everyone I met told me it was an oddly quiet time.

I never actually been to London, but I'm heading over in a few weeks to DJ the Mater Suspiria Vision show + this cold wave party. It should be interesting to see what the "scene" is like there.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

Koe> Were you at the S!CK party last Friday night? That was a special one. Oddly quiet and overbooked. And you're right, the mixing - at least in this scene - is terrible. These aren't DJs; they're kids (or artists) playing music off of their laptops. Big difference in my opinion. LOVE your mixes by the way! Good to see another techno/prog-head part of this. I think we're a minority. P.S. When in London, go check out a dubstep night if you have time. Wicked stuff there. Saw Benga and Skream at The End about a year ago and had a great time. I've always wanted to hear the soundsystem at Fabric; one day soon hopefully.
Koe

Post by Koe »

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:Koe> Were you at the S!CK party last Friday night? That was a special one. Oddly quiet and overbooked. And you're right, the mixing - at least in this scene - is terrible. These aren't DJs; they're kids (or artists) playing music off of their laptops. Big difference in my opinion. LOVE your mixes by the way! Good to see another techno/prog-head part of this. I think we're a minority. P.S. When in London, go check out a dubstep night if you have time. Wicked stuff there. Saw Benga and Skream at The End about a year ago and had a great time. I've always wanted to hear the soundsystem at Fabric; one day soon hopefully.
Nah, I was in NYC last December.
The lineup for S!CK looked pretty mental - odd that it didn't turn out so well...

I'm really glad you dig my style =) I'll have to check out your stuff when I'm near some decent speakers.
Koe

Post by Koe »

0hPeee wrote:
daterape wrote:oh i wish, no one seems to come to australia as far as i can tell..... maybe if i was in sydney?
where are you? i don't think there's much in sydney.

a friend started a club night in melbourne called Ghost House, but it only lasted a couple weeks. it was pretty early on in the story though, maybe too early. there's a regular night here (Perth) called Rose but it didn't have a great turn out the night i played - apprently they've had more on other nights. that's just DJing though. the only "live" gigs i've played were either with experimental/drone acts, or straight up hardcore/punk bands.

EDIT: also, your music is great.
I'm from Australia originally. Actually - I used to run a Post-Punk party with Travis who's now running ROSE. Sad to hear it's not going so well. There's a band over here in Berlin called Strange Forces that are originally from Brisbane (if I remember correctly). They are more straight up rock/psych but have dabbled in witch house. They actually put on one of the first "wh" nights I went to here in Berlin - which had a really great poster, but unfortunately wasn't such a great party.
sortilega

Post by sortilega »

cutups wrote:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=204535512900671

There's been some talk of doing this somewhere else that can go later,
but I don't think that has been determined yet. I'll probably play a mix of:
dubstep, breakcore, techno, industrial, noise or whatever (witch house?)
nice -- looks like you'll be spinning with my friend Intoner. i'll try to come check it out!

Jordan
sortilega

Post by sortilega »

Anton Maiof wrote:
I'm not against techno and certainly have nothing against the Gegen people. I see the passion they have for the aesthetics and I admire them. For me in this city you don't need to try very hard to go to a techno party, for that reason I don't go out very often unless the night has the potential to offer me something I can't find elsewhere.

i felt that way all last year living in Berlin -- but now it looks like there are some good parties (of course, now i'm back in SF :P ). Ad Noiseam and Dense put on great events too, though more noise/breakcore/dubstep/idm oriented.

Jordan
T U N D R A

Post by T U N D R A »

Re: Mixing in Witch House...

I've struggled with this for some time (as stupid as that may sound). I come from a house background where beatmatching is just part of the scene (as it is with techno, drum and bass, dubstep, etc). When I first saw witch house DJs simply blending in and out, I was really surprised. Once I realized people didn't care one way or another, it sorta clicked.

I still think WH is more of a selector thing - if you play great tunes, people don't car. I personally have never considered myself much of a DJ - more of a producer/engineer - but I do love playing tracks. My ambient DJ set is all blends. However, I've got an Ableton Live set with a ton of warped WH tracks that I use for mixes/live - it works for me. I'd love to see some real WH DJs pop up.

I also know a lot of DJs feel Ableton Live is cheating - I see it as the least I can do to present a decent DJ set.