Any local witch house scenes?

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
✝SLAVERY✝

Any local witch house scenes?

Post Posted

So has like anyone's area developed like a local witch house scene? My area has developed quite a small devote following. There have been a few performances from a few brandnew dj's in the local dance scene rumored as drag but idk. they were tight shows anyhow. It's funny though, the way they try to pronouce all the bands names. :lol:
Anton Maiof

Re: Any local witch house scenes?

Post Posted

does an actual scene exist anywhere? there are a couple of sympathetic nights here in Berlin. the last club I went to that had Cosmotropia De Xam playing was essentially another techno night which disappointed me a fair amount.
T U N D R A

Post Posted

San Francisco has a decent scene. It gets better all the time.
puxel

Post Posted

I'm the only person within a 50 mile radius of my hometown who knows what witch house is.
killsaly

Post Posted

Not yet in the dc/baltimore area (at least if the 50 people at the dc Salem show is any indication). I hope it can, but I dont know. I want to start trying to promote some shows in baltimore, not sure if it would take off yet. One step at a time, then world dominatioN :lol:
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

I think NYC wins, kids. :D

Although I imagine SoCal is up there too.

Over the past year I've seen several times:

Salem
White Ring
oOoOO

Plus a dozen other acts that defy the genre (Light Asylum, Gatekeeper, etc.).

We have weekly and monthly parties here (FILTH, S!CK, Pendu).

That said, is it a close-knit scene? Not too sure about that. And parties are often empty (I saw Blissed Out play to 5 people the other weekend).

Speaking of DJs, there is not a good one here who plays this stuff; at least that I've witnessed. Most simply perform off of one laptop (without headphones or turntables or CDJs) and can't mix or build sets worth shit.

On a slightly related note, we have good clothing designers in the genre here too. NVR MND and No Lost Witches come to mind.
Koe

Post Posted

@Anton Maiof
I thought the Gegen party here was great to be honest.
I really dug the mix of the main downstairs techno room and chilled upstairs "wh" area.

Then again, I like techno.
∆AIMON

Post Posted

In San Diego we have two main venues that house some witch house and related acts. So we've had our share of tours passing through (probably on their way to LA). Have had the chance to see White Ring (multiple times), SALEM, Zola Jesus, TEARIST, GateKeeper, Nike7Up, TEAADORA, Terminal Twilight, and a few more. Also Raw Moans and Jeans Wilder are both local and both DJ as well... The venue, Tin Can, is actually directly related to the scene so books almost exclusively witch house/experimental/noise/shoegaze/drone/fog music.

I'm starting to find that a few of the goth clubs are starting to crossover as well. One of our close friends runs a death rock and goth night and has specifically requested ∆AIMON as an opening act for a couple touring goth artists coming through.

We'll see how people respond to a relatively unknown band. SALEM had an insane turnout but most of the crowd consisted of the type of urban outfitters kids who "should" know about SALEM... not hating, just find it an interesting comparison between their crowd and another genre staple like White Ring who only had the most serious witch house kids show up.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

@ ∆AIMON: Nice on the integration into the goth scene. It seems natural, but that's my opinion. Some rockers ain't into electronica, but hopefully you can open up some eyes! I hear you about Salem; they obviously have gotten much more press and pimp themselves out more than White Ring, so no big surprise there. I hear Kendra is moving out west; not sure if you're in the loop.
cutups

Post Posted

Nothing really here in Pittsburgh. I don't think any bands that are under this umbrella have played here yet,
although I have a few things in the works. Personally I prefer hearing this sort of thing within a broader context,
and not necessarily all focused on a niche sound. At some dj nights I'll throw WH acts in the mix
with dubstep, breakcore, techno, industrial, noise or whatever, when the aesthetic works.
Last edited by cutups on April 28th, 2011, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T U N D R A

Post Posted

Regarding the SF/Bay Area Scene:

You've got the following people out here: Me, Marco de la Vega (aka WhITCH, 120 Minutes boss), Powwww, GuMMyBeaR, RAiN, and probably some more. Andrew Shaw aka RAiN and I are the duo called Grimm Soundsystem. We've played a few shows, but nothing insane.

We have a lot of good shows, but 99% of them can be traced back to Marco. All the ones Brant said and more have passed thru SF.

As far as DJs, there's Nako, WhITCH, Andrew and I, and oOoOO plays just about every 120 Minutes (DJ sets only, though). All DJs around here are very selector oriented: nobody really beatmatches. Mostly just blends. I personally don't care about beatmatching, but I spend time on building my sets and try to make my sets as solid/flowing as possible. So do Nako, WhITCH, etc.

I'm working with a friend of mine on a new monthly called Disculture - it's a strictly dark music oriented party: goth, drone, witch house, dragged out stuff - we don't care, as long as it's dark. Andrew and I will be residents and we'll be bringing in guests. The first party, May 26, will feature TEAMS from LA. We're working closely to make sure everyone from witch house people to old school goths come and party. It's at a popular gay bar called Truck - really cool spot.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=119667958113709

The scene isn't very "united" or anything, but I work closely with Marco on a lot of stuff. We're trying to build a scene here, but it takes time.
cutups

Post Posted

@TUNDRA, I'm going to be in SF the weekend before that. DJing somewhere, but its a bit up in the air where right now.
Anything else going on that weekend?
T U N D R A

Post Posted

cutups wrote:@TUNDRA, I'm going to be in SF the weekend before that. DJing somewhere, but its a bit up in the air where right now.
Anything else going on that weekend?
Where are you DJing? What show? What kind of stuff do you play?

Aside from our party I'm not really sure - there's another 120 Minutes on May 5 with TEAMS, but aside from that I'm not aware of anything witch house-y happening.
cutups

Post Posted

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=204535512900671

There's been some talk of doing this somewhere else that can go later,
but I don't think that has been determined yet. I'll probably play a mix of:
dubstep, breakcore, techno, industrial, noise or whatever (witch house?)
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

Respect to Marco; great guy. Met him at a recent Pendu party in Brooklyn. I had the feeling he was integral to the scene out there.

I hate to say this, but I've seen Chris DJ twice and was severely disappointed with his sets. Bad hip-hop, cheesy pop, etc. He literally cleared the dance floor at the S!CK party in NYC last weekend. Believe me when I say I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Love him as a producer though; amazingly talented.