Any local witch house scenes?

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
sortilega

Re: Any local witch house scenes?

Post Posted

i think when to beat match depends on the tracks and the kind of set you're playing. if you have people dancing and you want to keep up a good flow, beatmixing can help maintain smoother transitions between songs. but it only really makes sense if you're playing tracks in the same tempo range -- which is much easier with house, techno, breaks, etc., but not so much with electro, new wave, goth, and so forth. with genres like house or techno, the point is to build a seamless set, but when you're playing song with more of a pop structure, i think the crowd is more aware of the break between each track anyhow -- so then you just want the transition to sound good and not lose too much momentum on the floor.
0hPeee

Post Posted

Koe wrote:
0hPeee wrote:
daterape wrote:oh i wish, no one seems to come to australia as far as i can tell..... maybe if i was in sydney?
where are you? i don't think there's much in sydney.

a friend started a club night in melbourne called Ghost House, but it only lasted a couple weeks. it was pretty early on in the story though, maybe too early. there's a regular night here (Perth) called Rose but it didn't have a great turn out the night i played - apprently they've had more on other nights. that's just DJing though. the only "live" gigs i've played were either with experimental/drone acts, or straight up hardcore/punk bands.

EDIT: also, your music is great.
I'm from Australia originally. Actually - I used to run a Post-Punk party with Travis who's now running ROSE. Sad to hear it's not going so well.
ha! small world.

i didn't mean to give the impression that it wasn't going well. it goes pretty good most of the time, i'm told. i've only been the once. plus it was at a huge venue. and, you know, this is perth. heh.
goatritual

Post Posted

immaculate collective is melbourne based. gosts r wat u get wen lovedied. 8-) :( 8-)
0hPeee

Post Posted

goatritual wrote:immaculate collective is melbourne based.
woah. maybe some sort of australian compilation is in order?
goatritual

Post Posted

0hPeee wrote:
goatritual wrote:immaculate collective is melbourne based.
woah. maybe some sort of australian compilation is in order?
i reckon
cutups

Post Posted

T U N D R A wrote:Re: Mixing in Witch House...

I've struggled with this for some time (as stupid as that may sound). I come from a house background where beatmatching is just part of the scene (as it is with techno, drum and bass, dubstep, etc). When I first saw witch house DJs simply blending in and out, I was really surprised. Once I realized people didn't care one way or another, it sorta clicked.
I can empathize with this - my perception of "OK" djing has evolved over time. I went from not caring at all (before I'd experienced much), to caring alot (after seeing lots of talented djs), to worrying less and less about it, because it's more about having a good time and atmosphere than nitpicking over small mistakes.

However, I still appreciate djs who are great at mixing AND at selection more than anything.

One big criticism I had of the goth scene djs, and why i mostly quit going to those nights years ago was that they would play all of this aggro trance kind of stuff, and they'd play the WHOLE 5-7 min mixes of tunes without mixing AT ALL. I don't mind of mixes sound a lil bad at times, but you can't bore me out of the place.
Last edited by cutups on May 24th, 2011, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sortilega

Post Posted

cutups wrote:
T U N D R A wrote:Re: Mixing in Witch House...

One big criticism I had of the goth scene djs, and why i mostly quit going to those nights years ago was that they would play all of this aggro trance kind of stuff, and they'd play the WHOLE 5-7 min mixes of tunes without mixing AT ALL. I don't mind of mixes sound a lil bad at times, but you can't bore me out of the place.
very few goth/industrial DJs mix well, partly because the crowd doesn't seem to care at all and keeps showing up anyhow. of course, i think even well mixed aggrotech/terror ebm/whatever the fvck they're playing now at goth clubs would bore me to tears. :P

looking forward to the SF show at LiPo -- it's kind of a bad weekend for me to go out but will try to make it anyhow!
fiction

Post Posted

There is only a small scene here, i think im the only one who produces up here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/fictiondnb for witch house/drag and dnb
MAKE INU

Post Posted

no scene in venice at all, lol. someone listen to witch house, but no one is a witch house producer.
kukhuvud

Post Posted

sortilega wrote: very few goth/industrial DJs mix well, partly because the crowd doesn't seem to care at all and keeps showing up anyhow.
Like ANYONE shows up to danceclubs anymore, or ever, in SF... LOL!
T U N D R A

Post Posted

kukhuvud wrote:
sortilega wrote: very few goth/industrial DJs mix well, partly because the crowd doesn't seem to care at all and keeps showing up anyhow.
Like ANYONE shows up to danceclubs anymore, or ever, in SF... LOL!
??

Dance clubs are huge in SF. There's a ton of them and most of them manage to get by quite well.
kukhuvud

Post Posted

Well my comment was directed towards SF goth/industrial clubs in particular. I lived a long time there; I believe I can say this!
sortilega

Post Posted

kukhuvud wrote:Well my comment was directed towards SF goth/industrial clubs in particular. I lived a long time there; I believe I can say this!
well yeah, you have a point :P. but the DJs were mediocre long before the crowd dropped off :). the goth/industrial scene in SF has been getting stale for years, and it's really dwindled in the past year or two.
teehnbwitches

Post Posted

Mexico city has an awesome scene.
And the Negative†Youth guys are making a lot of cool shows too.
cutups

Post Posted

looks like our crew will be taking over a monthly night with a bit of free reign. (in pittsburgh)
every third friday starting in july. anybody in the midwest looking to do flight-shares
on booking artists, hit me up.