Influences?

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
kev7n.g

Influences?

Post Posted

Curious how you kids got here. Myself, grew up in the 80s new wave era and then started listening to industrial/goth around '90. Around '00 listened to a lot of IDM. Now it's a mix of everything. But naturally with my development, witch house or whatever is a nice blend of these different genres. Even though I imagine a lot of these producers are nearly half my age.

Self favorites (to name but a few):

TG
Coil
Joy Division
Death in June
Boards of Canada
GYBE
Skinny Puppy
Burial
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Influences?

Post Posted

Hip Hop head, from the late 90s through 00's. Got bored with rappers a few years ago, so I've moved to electronic stuff (mostly new-beats scene, IDM and dubstep). Currently, just like you, a mixture of everything, from dream pop to dubstep to hiphop to punk to indie rock to beats. Witch house is somewhere there between all those...
That should sum up my musical taste as for today:
http://www.last.fm/user/zinbwoy
BackAlleyLurker

Post Posted

I never was into any particular genre until i got into metal. Been a metalhead a while, got into arts at school and this really opened my eyes to creativity, abstractions,etc. Been a doom metal fan, then got into stoner, sludge,drone and then found the band YOGA and that brought me to MAter Suspiria VIsion.

I always listened to a lot of different genres though. Interests are all over the place.
symbols n shit

Post Posted

I started out listening to the oldies station, so I was into surf, psychedelic, doo-wop, etc. Then I got into radio pop punk in the early 2000's when I was about 12, then I got into TR00 PUNX in the most obnoxious and 13 year old kind of "dEtH to aVRuL sHez a POSuR" way, from there I got into deathrock/goth around about 2006, then from there I got into old school industrial, harsh noise, shoegaze, power electronics, new wave, early EBM, synthpunk, lo-fi, rap, noise rock, no-wave, post-punk, the whole shtick. So when Witch House emerged, I was pretty much like "shyeah bro".

Never been into metal.

Witch-Punx in 2012? Hopefully!
RAMESSESII

Post Posted

used to listen to grunge, then '90s garage, then weird downbeat stuff, then hip-hop/RnB, then dubstep and then SALEM came along and created witch-house!
zxz

Post Posted

1st record I ever heard was Enigma's 1990 album "MCMXC a.D.", and prior to age 5, I loved Eurodance (which I do to this day).
After I moved to Toronto, Canada from Kiev, Ukraine at age 5, I listened to a lot of Italo Disco / Euro Disco, Synthpop, etc.
At age 11, my family obtained cable, and I indulged in Much More Music, a channel once dedicated to vintage music videos. I was exposed to Madonna, Culture Club, The Cult, a vast amount of Glam Metal bands, and the occasional Synthpop & New Wave one-hit wonders.
Through Soft Cell's cover of Tainted Love, I discovered the music of Marilyn Manson, with a complete introduction occurring through his 2003 performance of This Is The New Shit, and mOBSCENE on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
I began obsessing over Industrial Rock/Metal, and discovered Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM / mdfmk / Excessive Force, Tim Skold / Shotgun Messiah, etc.
Through Industrial Rock, and via The Cult, I discovered The Cure's "Charlotte Sometimes", which was my introduction into Gothic Rock.
Through Gothic Rock, I discovered Clan of Xymox, which is now a huge influence on my work.
Along the line I fell in love with The Sisters of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, and Depeche Mode.
My tastes today are a complete combination of all of the above.
kev7n.g

Post Posted

Good stuff!

ZXZ> Not sure if you've heard Coil's "Tainted Love" redo; amazing!
zxz

Post Posted

Of course I have :)
powwowW

Post Posted

I started listening to 80's goth bands before I started high school. My favorite was Christian Death, but I also listened to Alien Sex Fiend, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Specimen to name a few. I started to get into Industrial music in high school and I was also really into Japanese pop and visual rock. Malice Mizer, Dir en grey, Moi Dix Mois, and Schwarz Stein were some of my favorites. Skinny Puppy, Grendel, :wumpscut:, and Front 242 are also pretty wonderful.
███powwowW music███
http://soundcloud.com/powwoww
kev7n.g

Post Posted

Christian Death fan here too. Love "This is Heresy" and the Sex,Drugs album. Theatre of Pain is also a great album.

Will never forget the Skinny Puppy "Too Dark Park" tour; will be hard to ever top those performances!
symbols n shit

Post Posted

Ohai Christian Death fans, I think I'll just leave these slowed down versions of Christian Death songs here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ai390o7ogs72k9x
http://www.mediafire.com/?fohr1p63l2ampap
http://www.mediafire.com/?kaxx5h690yy0j4z
powwowW

Post Posted

^Cool shit! Thanks man.
███powwowW music███
http://soundcloud.com/powwoww
<<_[]_>_>>

Post Posted

early favs:
isao tomita
rem
dream warriors
king crimson
jethro tull
maestro fresh wes

all-time fav's:

joy division
dj spooky vs. the freigh elevator quartet "file under futurism" (not interested in either artists other albums but it's possibly one of my favorites of all time)
boards of canada "geogaddi"
black flag "nervous breakdown"
prurient "troubled sleep"
pg. 99
cock e.s.p. "excessive size punisher"
infest "mankind"
avalanches "since i left you"
culturecide "tacky"
dipset
and the early constellation records roster
||ø||
s1l1c0n3

Post Posted

My Story is very similar to kev7n.g's. Very into 80's industrial and goth (with 3 Skinny Puppy and one Joy Division tatts to prove it!) and found my way to IDM via Autechre and the Artificial Intelligence comps on Warp.

I also have to give a shout out to <_[]_>_>> for mentioning Tomita. The Planets is probably the whole reason I listen to electronic music now. (my father made me a tape of what I could only describe as "outer space music" and Mars kicked it off!)
<<_[]_>_>>

Post Posted

dope!

my dad had most of Tomita's records on vinyl and played them a lot when i was really young (like 5 or 6 years old.) he played that particular record a the most often and my little brother (at that time he was 2 or 3) used to get scared when Mars came on. :lol: these days you can find any number of tomita gems at your average flea market.

there was a really crazy 4-disc collection my uncle bought for me when i was in junior high called Ohm (i can't find it anywhere) that schooled pretty good on other pioneers. Clara Rockmore's use of the theremin is still mind-blowing to me.

also, the original Doctor Who soundtracks kicked ass all the way up through the sylvester mccoy regeneration. NERD OUT.
||ø||