Need help with new project. (Lyrics)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Zyprexa Effect

Need help with new project. (Lyrics)

Post by Zyprexa Effect »

Hey guys, I've been working on this new project and what not. Well... I can make decent witch house beats, and I can sing but, I could not write good lyrics to save my life. So... I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out..

PM me if you wanna get involved. I will of course give credit.
thebdm0ns†er

Re: Need help with new project. (Lyrics)

Post by thebdm0ns†er »

I don't know if this will help you out in a practical sense, but thinking about these sorts of things helps me get going...

I believe poetry often flows naturally from the thoughts which seem to come from nowhere, like the ones you have in bed as you are about to fall asleep. All day your language has been oriented on goals and things outside yourself -- practically-purposed (didactic) language, not lyrical or artistic. But when you are just alone with your thoughts in the darkness of your room, don't thoughts just seem to appear from thin air, as if you weren't thinking them, but as if they were entering your head naturally? What comes into your head? What is in your mind once everything has cleared away? This is lyrical language. I tend to use these as the basis for most lyrics that I write, because I feel like they're the most honest thoughts I have.

As far as giving you a perhaps a more practical, less mystical-sounding approach which isn't so dependent on this kind of channelling, I would attempt to imagine the kind of environment your music creates and use the lyrics to populate that environment, almost as if they were a character or cast of characters. Not literally treating them as characters, of course (though there's no rule against it), but as if the ideas evoked by the lyrics were entities which inhabit the sonic environment you've created. I feel like a lot of music attempts to capture some kind of character, and we often judge if a song is good or not by how well it is able to do this.

I hope I've been helpful getting you started on writing some awesome lyrics of your own. :)
fastfuck

Post by fastfuck »

can i rap on your beats
Anton Maiof

Post by Anton Maiof »

agreed with everything thebdm0ns†er said.

I can also confirm I know a few songwriters with very successful careers who use direct text from obscure novels and / or cut ups of random lyrics generators.
Zyprexa Effect

Post by Zyprexa Effect »

thebdm0ns†er wrote:I don't know if this will help you out in a practical sense, but thinking about these sorts of things helps me get going...

I believe poetry often flows naturally from the thoughts which seem to come from nowhere, like the ones you have in bed as you are about to fall asleep. All day your language has been oriented on goals and things outside yourself -- practically-purposed (didactic) language, not lyrical or artistic. But when you are just alone with your thoughts in the darkness of your room, don't thoughts just seem to appear from thin air, as if you weren't thinking them, but as if they were entering your head naturally? What comes into your head? What is in your mind once everything has cleared away? This is lyrical language. I tend to use these as the basis for most lyrics that I write, because I feel like they're the most honest thoughts I have.

As far as giving you a perhaps a more practical, less mystical-sounding approach which isn't so dependent on this kind of channelling, I would attempt to imagine the kind of environment your music creates and use the lyrics to populate that environment, almost as if they were a character or cast of characters. Not literally treating them as characters, of course (though there's no rule against it), but as if the ideas evoked by the lyrics were entities which inhabit the sonic environment you've created. I feel like a lot of music attempts to capture some kind of character, and we often judge if a song is good or not by how well it is able to do this.

I hope I've been helpful getting you started on writing some awesome lyrics of your own. :)
Thanks man! Ya that is quite helpful. Good way to approach it. I will give it a try tonight.
Zyprexa Effect

Post by Zyprexa Effect »

fastfuck wrote:can i rap on your beats
Yea. But only if you have a real mic and you let me mix/master the audio after. As in like send me a wave file of just the acapella afterwards.
fastfuck

Post by fastfuck »

ye no prb we can do that! easy i have a good mic aswell ill pm u my email