Texture - SigilKids (2011)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
†3x†UR3

Texture - SigilKids (2011)

Post by †3x†UR3 »

1. A Dark Wind Blows
2. Little White Lies
3. A Pinch of Psychedlic
4. Like Clockwork Babies
5. Rohrschach
6. Ghosts
7. Broken Focus
8. Assassin's Creed (Horrordrone Remix)

I have an instrumental album dropping soon on the new dark electronica label AURAL SECTS:

http://auralsects.bandcamp.com/

Will post here when it drops. For now, here's a clip I made for one of the tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KKuTbP_U4

Hope you enjoy - less witch-y, more cyber-creepy tranq / breakbeat.
†3x†UR3

Re: TEXTURE / SIGIL KIDS [aural sects]

Post by †3x†UR3 »

Here's tha album folks - as I said, not very witchy. Truth is I've been sitting on these 8 lo-fi, dark electronica tracks for a while, but nowhere seemed to be playing / releasing that kind of music. It was all about 'funk' or 'future bass' and frankly there's enough of that about. Then... I discovered witch house, where dark / twisted sounds are embraced... and I decided it was time to get these tracks out again. They may not fit the WH bill exactly, but I hope you'll get a kick out of these rhythms nonetheless.

Free download:

Download here: http://auralsects.bandcamp.com/album/texture-sigilkids
I††

Post by I†† »

Love it!
Blaholtzen

Post by Blaholtzen »

I like it, kind of reminds me of orbital and aphex twin at some points
Blaholtzen

Post by Blaholtzen »

I would just like to add that i fucking love this album

You're awesome!
†3x†UR3

Post by †3x†UR3 »

*blush*

wow, thanks guys, so glad you like it, i have been overwhelmed by the response to this album.

think i may even make some physical copies... will keep you posted. thanks for listening!
Blaholtzen

Post by Blaholtzen »

I'd just like to know, the lyrics for "assassin's creed", who wrote it, i find it very interesting. i know "nothing is true and everything is permitted" is from the game assassin's creed but the rest?
∆AIMON

Post by ∆AIMON »

sorry to get all serious, but as long as Blaholtzen is asking, I feel I should comment.
the phrase "nothing is true, everything is permitted" is a phrase commonly attributed to Hassan-i Sabbah, the master of the Nizari Isma'ilis (known as the Assassins) and presumably used in the game Assassin's Creed for obvious reasons.
though the exact source of this lore is up for debate, it is widely accepted to have come from William S. Burroughs and Brion Gysin who in turn derived the phrase from Burroughs' "cut-up" method having taken phrases from a book written about Hassan and re-arranged them into the phrase as we now know it.
from that constructed cosmology and it's leaning towards conceptualizing discordianism, it has permeated into the writings of Chaos Magickian Peter Carroll whose teachings resemble quite closely (whether intended or not) the actual lyrics of the song in question. I am curious then to learn from Texture if indeed he is aware of Peter Carroll's or William Burroughs' works regarding the similar concept...
∆AIMON

Post by ∆AIMON »

also, for the record, I am really enjoying this album!
extremely well done.
Blaholtzen

Post by Blaholtzen »

Really interesting, thanks for the info
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post by Pe† Ceme†ery »

Quick reply - not sure of whether Texture is aware of the Chaos Magick stuff (though he probably is...) but the lyrics and vocals are both his work.

PS. Aural Sects (the label this is released on) is scouting for new talent atm. Message on facebook (just search for it) or e-mail auralsects1@gmail.com if you're interested. May be some time getting back to you because we decide everything by democratic consensus between 7 or so people.
†3x†UR3

Post by †3x†UR3 »

Hey guys thanks for the interest in the lyrics! The song was definitely inspired by both Burroughs and Hassan Sabbah, although I have not read much about Peter Carroll.

I got interested in chaos magick via the writings of Grant Morrison, continued on and read a bunch of stuff on the subject by the likes of Crowley, Robert Anton-Wilson and Hakim Bey, and for a while practiced sigil magic (after AO Spare's method). I've been reading about the history of occultism, and still have a huge stack of PDFs on chaos magick to read this year when I start university again (I'm sure Carroll crops up in there).

I find the 'Nothing is True / Everything Is Permitted' axiom incredibly useful for interpreting the world. When I am angry, this phrase can fuel the anger, explain it, and calm me. When I feel at peace it is very much a comfort. I like the inherent contradiction. For me it embodies the idea of 'neither-neither' as described by Spare. It is a gateway phrase, a consciousness-altering linguistic trigger.

I guess when I wrote this song I was feeling pretty negative about the world, having just watched a documentary about the Chinese genocide in Tibet, and I think I had recently watched a bunch of 'war on terror' thrillers like Syriana. So in this song, I'm using the axiom as a sword to swing at people.... but for me the phrase embodies peace as well as horror and destruction and madness. In fact, repeating this phrase aways reminds me that you cannot have one without the others.

Hope that all makes sense, and thanks for asking!
†3x†UR3

Post by †3x†UR3 »

also, I have never played Assassins' Creed!
∆AIMON

Post by ∆AIMON »

Very cool! Grant Morrison is a great inspiration for sigil works. I've been a long time follower/admirer of Austin Osman Spare's works as well. Peter Carroll is commonly thought of as the "creator" of Chaos Magick whether that's true or not he is assuredly the reason Spare is remembered today. His writing can get a bit tongue in cheek but I believe it's inherently necessary for the subject matter to not be taken too seriously... I definitely recommend reading his works Psychonaut and Liber Null if you are interested in a quantum physics guide to sigil use and banishment through laughter...
I completely understand the comforting/comprehending aspect of the phrase. Especially as understood by Robert Anton-Wilson and the neither-neither concept as you stated. Beautifully said.
Again, great job with the album. Very well done!
†3x†UR3

Post by †3x†UR3 »

Thanks ∆AIMON, really glad you enjoyed it. And it turns out I do have a bunch of unread Peter Carroll texts on PDF - can't wait til I can afford a kindle haha!

There's some more great stuff coming on the label Aural Sects soon by I AM WATER, BL/\CK CEILING, Tash Willmore, Moon Mirror, spf50 and zxz. Thanks for checking us out!