Wh1ch House? - Witch House Is Dead (2014)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Neurotic

Re: Wh1ch House? - Witch House Is Dead

Post Posted

I'm going to step in here and defend his right to take the piss because one of the things that got me into witch house was

1) how loose the remit of what it could be was: neo-folk, hip hop, EBM, first-wave style industrial, noise-rock, ambient, techno, all fair game.
2) The fact that there was a sense of humour about it and people revelling in the ridiculousness of it all while still, at best, making emotionally powerful music.

Both these things are still present in the best stuff, but there's no need to do a witch house parody: the bad witch house is just parodying itself. Take some Lex Luger trap kit drums, attach some adolescent shock tactics that surprise no one and then put a half-assed wobbly synth line on and some reverb somewhere down the line. It happened with dubstep and it'll happen here. That's just a sign that it's crossing over a bit (with Yeezus is it even a question that this thing of ours is seeping into the mainstream?) so even that has its silver lining. However, there's a hell of a lot of good stuff out there too that gives you the shivers and makes you feel the way you did when you first heard Coil or Einsturzende Neubauten or...whatever turns you on and inspires you. For every copyist and hack following the "genre rules" that inevitably form over time slavishly there'll be something that blows you away. Maybe if you do something game changing doing some lazy gay jokes is semi-excusable: Wh1ch House isn't doing anything game changing, though, so come on, if you're going to be a dickhead do it creatively. Gay Very? Come on. I'm very gay and freely state this fact. It's not an insult.

If you think Witch House Is Dead explain why, and would it hurt you to sample Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead while you're at it? You think it's shit then go ahead and make something that blows everything else away. Redefine the genre.

Like I'm cooking up now....if you're into Death In June and stuff of that ilk that is. If not you probably won't like it or find it blows anything else away.
http://soundcloud.com/dan-wreck
neuroticwreck.bandcamp.com
Mood music for moodswings.
wh1ch_House

Post Posted

Neurotic wrote:I'm going to step in here and defend his right to take the piss because one of the things that got me into witch house was

1) how loose the remit of what it could be was: neo-folk, hip hop, EBM, first-wave style industrial, noise-rock, ambient, techno, all fair game.
2) The fact that there was a sense of humour about it and people revelling in the ridiculousness of it all while still, at best, making emotionally powerful music.

Both these things are still present in the best stuff, but there's no need to do a witch house parody: the bad witch house is just parodying itself. Take some Lex Luger trap kit drums, attach some adolescent shock tactics that surprise no one and then put a half-assed wobbly synth line on and some reverb somewhere down the line. It happened with dubstep and it'll happen here. That's just a sign that it's crossing over a bit (with Yeezus is it even a question that this thing of ours is seeping into the mainstream?) so even that has its silver lining. However, there's a hell of a lot of good stuff out there too that gives you the shivers and makes you feel the way you did when you first heard Coil or Einsturzende Neubauten or...whatever turns you on and inspires you. For every copyist and hack following the "genre rules" that inevitably form over time slavishly there'll be something that blows you away. Maybe if you do something game changing doing some lazy gay jokes is semi-excusable: Wh1ch House isn't doing anything game changing, though, so come on, if you're going to be a dickhead do it creatively. Gay Very? Come on. I'm very gay and freely state this fact. It's not an insult.

If you think Witch House Is Dead explain why, and would it hurt you to sample Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead while you're at it? You think it's shit then go ahead and make something that blows everything else away. Redefine the genre.

Like I'm cooking up now....if you're into Death In June and stuff of that ilk that is. If not you probably won't like it or find it blows anything else away.
Now there is some constructive input! I think my fav part was about ding dog the witch it dead!!

Also Your, right Gay very is not a very clever metaphor, more or less a cheap joke to piss him off because of egotistical jargon. I actually have nothing against any persons sexual orientation what so ever. So, I'm sorry about that part coming off like that. The world needs to live and let be so that people can freely express themselves.

I don't think that Witch House is actually dead. The album name "Witch House is Dead" is a joke about how so many people use silly logical fallacies, specifically circular reasoning in this case, in order to try and prove a point; When in fact of the matter is that art-forms/ideas/lifestyles/philosophies are not simply dead and over just because of a vague and weak declarative statement.
wh1ch_House

Post Posted

Wh1ch House? is a mind fuck to people and artist who take themselves way to fuckin seriously 24/7.

Just like Gwar, I will endlessly joke about shit that i am not supposed to joke about.

Why?

It's simple, Artists/People in general should have both the ability to study their craft seriously laugh at culture, society, themselves and have fun. Or else all that comes out of them/us is regurgitated pieces of shit.

Maybe this guy Sean can explain it better to all of you. Pay close attention at what he says at 1:17 and 2:17 3:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAibh3SqRUo
Mcll

Post Posted

Red text..hell u know that is 4 serious.

Strange Powers is good peeps. Has always been supportive of this music, always constructive too. And his music is really awesome. He needs a proper follow-up to Genetisis.

Those panties are hand made? Damn I would not go around braggin about that.