Fostercare

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Fostercare

Post Posted

new track:

FOSTERCARE - I ATE THE KNIFE
http://vimeo.com/26293281
Blaholtzen

Re: Fostercare

Post Posted

WTF xD
BeachGoth

Post Posted

Fostercare can't do it wrong. Another good song.
BackAlleyLurker

Post Posted

Love it!
M△S▴C△RA

Post Posted

this track was cool. but the drop thru a car track? idk man. cant get into it...
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

drop thru a car track is amazing - so much new influences in it - you should listen to it again ;)
M△S▴C△RA

Post Posted

beat is sick. love the structure. but when i first theard the dropmedropme vox i turned it off. lol
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

I found this old link to Fostercare's blog that doesn't exist anymore:

But Nattymari did copy pasted an excerpt from it that hits close to home all those years after:
"That was at the time when “witch house”, the phrase, had just gotten coined. It was first mentioned in this article in the London Guardian, which focused on Salem and referenced me, White Ring and a few others. At first it seemed cool to be grouped in something and then a few days later it started to become a…drag, I guess (…). My ambivalent feelings about being grouped in the genre would only grow over the years as second-wavers would come in emulating a formula and I felt that expectations were being applied to my music for a sound I never subscribed to."

and this bit (from AM interview):
whatever your music is called, you are half in control & half out of control. i've been making music since early 2008 & was really blind to how things work & micro-trends etc until much much later. i've always had a strange relationship with pr, as it seems to take almost more time than creative production itself. & how these things interact with what u do & so on. anyway, I tried not to say anything for a while, but now it just seems better to be honest and say something. From a recent interview with Auxiliary Magazine ::

AM: You've had quite an impressive discography that's been well received in the last few years. The new release is just as hard hitting and consistent as its predecessors. Do you feel that it’s important to remain fairly consistent with your sound as an artist?

FC: That's a hard question because I feel my sound is fairly inconsistent in places but still maybe recognizable. I guess I'm into so many divergent things that it's sometimes hard to say 'I am X' or 'I am Y'. Besides most of the musicians I like never really cared about being defined as a particular genre. So in a roundabout way I think I've been consistent in being spontaneous and not being too defined by genre. Although I think with me there's two different instincts which are influenced by what I like in 80s and 90s electronic music which has nothing to do with edm, and what I like in more 80-90s underground rock and industrial music. In a way I'm trying to meld the two sometimes and pursue one over the other sometimes.

AM: Your music has been described as falling into the genre of witchhouse. Do you think it’s a correct assessment?

FC: No. My music is not witch house. but by way of association early on it started getting called that. I guess there's nothing wrong with people being into this dark type of music per se, but really witch house and these sort of generic micro-genres aren't really my thing. Gimmicks aren't my thing. I think I get most frustrated because my music isn't really a gimmick and to me, witch house and sea punk and all these things jsut became these stale gimmicks. All the songs sort of just disappear into each other, except for the early stuff put out by the original bands like Salem, white ring etc. The only reason I'm sometimes called 'witch house' is because I released with Disaro in 2010 and was connected in some music articles to some "witch house' acts before witch house the term was even invented. But I don't know it seems futile to fight what people call me.