Witch House General Chat

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Blaholtzen

Witch House General Chat

Post Posted

I felt this forum needed a general chat thread, for things that you want to talk about but that you feel doesn't need it's own thread.
(I was unsure in which sub-forum to put it in however, but I figured this is the most active one so might as well be here)

Here's a few things I've been thinking about to start us off:

Where did the triangle trend come from?
and does the traingle/diamond hand gesture that Jay-Z does rightfully belong to the witch house scene?
Though, his is supposed to be a diamond, while for us it would be a triangle, so i guess we could claim it.

What is the best name for the genre in your opinion?
I've read this article: http://www.expatriarch.com/2010/05/tryi ... real-drag/
and even though I came to learn this genre by the name witch house, i kinda think drag sounds better, and it has the advantage of being one syllable shorter.

Am I the only one who prefers the depressing kind of witch house over the more pleasant kind?
I've seen a lot of people linking to music which i find too happy for it to be interesting.
perhaps we need subgenres or something to part the two form each other...?

Now feel free to answer/discuss this or ask/tell whatever's on your mind
Nova Sol

Re: Witch House General Chat

Post Posted

it's very clearly more than one subgenre beïng lumped together under one name--salem and mater suspiria vision, for example, have fuck-all in common. i'm inclined to think ov the more hip-hop-influenced stuff (like †‡† and † de▲d virgin †*) as witch-hop.

*i can't find the hollow triangle in my charmap.
Blaholtzen

Post Posted

It's funny you should say that because at first, when i pretty much just knew of SALEM I kept forgetting it was witch house, and called it witch hop instead. Which made more sense actually with SALEM's chopped and screwed hip hop influences.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

For me WITCH HOUSE is an audio/visual experience, so even if the music itself doesn't really sound similar (say, Ritualz vs MSV), you can feel that the visual sides of those projects come from the same origin.
j∆ckr∆bbi†

Post Posted

I've kinda seen witch-house as somewhat of a musical bastard child kinda flirting with UK dubstep (think burial, distance, kode9, etc), pulling the skin off the face of hip-hop and wearing it while doing cartwheels over the house of cliché rave music and then nosediving into a pool of industrial/ebm while wearing an "I LOVE BRITNEY SPEARS" shirt and sipping lean out of a dj screw pimp-cup.
-That having been said, I think it suits the genre well, as when I think of "witch house" it's not really any one thing, or any definable sound, it's kind of an amalgam everything that's gone before it.

As far as the triangle thing goes, I think we oughta ask Mr. Owl.
D.Miranda

Post Posted

Sorry not to follow on Blaholtzen's questions with this post :)

I was just wondering if ✝No Virgin✝ was still active?
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

D.Miranda wrote:I was just wondering if ✝No Virgin✝ was still active?
Don't think so, last time I've heard from them, was back in October when I msg'd them via Myspace asking about Downer EP being released on CD; here's their reply:
No, the downer ep will remain completely virtual unless someone wants to turn it physical 4 us. The next release won't be put out on disaro anymore. We teamed up with Second Layers Records and are going to drop it off there.
obviously nothing came out on the SLR
D.Miranda

Post Posted

Ok, too bad... Thanks for the info!!
Blaholtzen

Post Posted

D.Miranda wrote:Sorry not to follow on Blaholtzen's questions with this post :)

I was just wondering if ✝No Virgin✝ was still active?
for future reference, the main point of the thread is for little random things that you want to say/ask but that you feel doesn't need it's own thread :)