Witch House Ascii symbols and codes

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
viv

Witch House Ascii symbols and codes

Post by viv »

Hi All

I'd like to open up a discussion of the ascii code symbols that witch house artists use so much - are there any particular resources for them ( I've noticed some I cant find in the symbols lists ).... Let me know, I have a pipedream of writing a program on python that would turn regular text into specific with house symbols like : 't' = ╬, 'a' = ▲, 'h' = Ħ.
Notes from the Vomitorium - Amerkaji Meme - Feynmans Echo - Pyrrhic Victories

♏ ♏ℯ ⅉ⨑ ץ◍ữ ɲℯℯđ ⍴ℾ◍-⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ - ⅉ ặ♏ ặ ⍴ℾ◍đữc✞ⅉ◍ɲ ƨ✞ữđⅉ◍ ℬ◍◍kⅉɲℊ ặℊℯɲ✞
Nova Sol

Re: Witch House Ascii symbols and codes

Post by Nova Sol »

the first thing you'll need is a mac. seriously. i can't find much ov anything in windows character map, but my imac lets me check every possible category and even shows me related symbols from other categories--the only symbol i haven't been able to find on it is the triple wavy line on the Δaimon EP.

edit: forgot to mention how to do this. you should have a small american flag (or possibly your own country's flag if english isn't your first language) on the upper right ov your monitor, right next to the time. if you click on it, you should get a drop-down that includes 'show character palette'--click that motherfucker. i'm running OSX 10.3.4, but i'd be surprised if they've changed something so basic.
Last edited by Nova Sol on August 2nd, 2011, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post by ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ »

A lot of the symbols (letters) come from alphabets other than the Latin/Roman one. Just a hint.
Blaholtzen

Post by Blaholtzen »

I've found multiple lists with all kinds of symbols where you can just copy paste from. You just have to know what to google. On windows its basically alt + numpad number combinations.

Also i dislike the idea of using generators, I mean, there's some creativity in what symbols you use to replace letters and there's nothing creative in being a complete copycat.
viv

Post by viv »

Thanks Nova Sol, managed to find all the symbols on my Mac - some gorgeous symbols and characters there.... Is it possible to set a second keyboard up with a bespoke character set? So rather than use a program to convert you can just designate your favourite symbols to keys.... and your typing pattern stays unchanged?

Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

you're welcome!

regarding a second keyboard, while i haven't had a chance to use it yet, ukelele is supposed to be good for setting up different keyboard layout/assignations: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page ... id=ukelele
if you get a chance to try it before i do, let me know how it turns out--i'm a busy monster lately, but i'd love to set my keyboard up to use the dvorak layout for japanese input (japanese input on a mac is an absolute dream, but it only works with standard layout).
teacake

Post by teacake »

The possibility of WH projects with "normal" names becoming more uncommon than those made of symbols tickles me pink. :lol:
viv

Post by viv »

Nova Sol - I got ukelele - looks good, really simple, my only reserve is I dont know how to swtich the new character layout on or activate it - is there an easy on off button? Also, I've got two keyboards plugged in, can't figure out how to specify one.... so my bluetooth keyboard types normal and my usb keyboard types in the weird characters - yknow... thought'd I'd ask as you seem clued up about Mac preferences...

Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

i don't think you can specify routing thing A to one keyboard and thing B to another keyboard, but if you go to the 'international' pane* in your system preferences, you should be able to select which keyboard layouts you want as options, and then you can switch between them from the same dropdown you used to get to the character palette.

*this is from memory--i haven't played with it in a while, and i'm not currently on my mac. i know for sure it's somewhere in system preferences, about 98% sure it's in international.
GODHATESNATURE

Post by GODHATESNATURE »

CHARMAP in windows has every symbol you can display on your computer
viv

Post by viv »

Right, I've been playing on ukelele for a few days now and have got my keyboard set up and saved ( i think ) in the right place - but when I go to select my keyboard input in my preferences ( as the ukelele manual depicts ) it's just not there! Any mac users help me out here???

Also, I'd really like to read some links about the philosophy behind such esoteric use of symbols, the more indepth and theory based the better...

teacake

Post by teacake »

I can sum it up for you...

"Lets make our stuff harder to find so the only people who find it are people who are looking for us specifically... ooooo Crosses!"

A lot of the symbols people use actually have set typographic functions, but they are more times chosen because they look neat. For example, the crosses are called 'daggers' (‡ is a double-dagger) and they're used to denote footenotes when you've already used an asterisk to mark another footnote.
Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

on a related note--has anyöne else noticed/does anyöne know a solution for a 3rd-gen ipod nano (windows firmware) often not displaying the full unicode set?
teacake

Post by teacake »

... why are you using umlauts over your Os?

I donno about the iPod... but I know it freaks out and fails to keep my ~▲†▲~ albums together, choosing instead to denote each track as a separate album

On the topic of using symbols; a producer friend of mine whom I went to college with in Baltimore, MD (a city full of dirty hipsters) remarked on the use of geometric symbols as carrying a certain air of pretentiousness with it, at least when it comes to bands like Ritualz in which the written name and how to say it have absolutely no relation (His written name literally translates to Dagger, Double Dagger, Dagger). He argued that it makes it feel a bit like "well if you don't know how to say it... you just don't get it" which definitely has a edge of asshole to it.

I don't care either way... I personally don't use symbols but there's no real moral reasoning behind it, I just... don't.
viv

Post by viv »

ℊữץƨ - ⅉ ϝⅉɲặ⅃⅃ץ ♏ặɲặℊℯđ ✞◍ ƨ◍ℾ✞ ♏ץ ƨץ♏ℬ◍⅃ƨ ◍ữ✞ ặɲđ ℊℯ✞ ♏ץ ◍⍹ɲ ⅃ặץ◍ữ✞ ƨ◍ℾ✞ℯđ - ⍴ℾℯ✞✞ץ ⍴⅃ℯặƨℯđ ⍹ⅉ✞ƕ ⅉ✞ ƨ◍ ⨑ặℾ, ⅉ đⅉđ cặ⍴ƨ ✞◍ ϝ●ᴙ ▲⎳⎳ ♰Ӊ●sξ ♰Iლξs ϢӉξɴ I ლ▲λ ɴξξↁ ♰● sӉ●U♰