GuMMy†Be▲R! - Time (2011)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
disarorecords

GuMMy†Be▲R! - Time (2011)

Post Posted

The new EP by GuMMy†Be▲R! is available for pre-order now. It will be shipped out on August 30th, but if you make it to his show in Hollywood on August 24th, you might be able to get your hands on one of the promo copies that we will be giving away there.

http://www.disarorecords.com/release/drsv005
Phantasma Disques

Re: New GuMMy†Be▲R! release!

Post Posted

Last edited by Phantasma Disques on August 21st, 2011, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

Have to agree. It looks like reject art for NIN's "Year Zero"...
teacake

Post Posted

Meh... There is a lot (A LOT) of terrible album art in the WH scene. So long as the music's good I don't much care personally.
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

Last edited by Phantasma Disques on August 21st, 2011, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

*on the front porch in a rocking chair with a pipe* WITCH HOUSE AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE.

True enough though. The aesthetics seems to be moving toward bland hipsterish photoshop expert creations, rather than the angular, psyched out symmetrical collages of old. Even all the horror influences have disappeared... Witch House for the most part no longer sounds scary. And that is a very, very sad thing to lose.

It's like the contrast between Siouxsie and the Banshees on Hyaena and Juju versus the terrible "Kiss Them For Me" period.

*shudder*
vnshd

Post Posted

Phantasma Disques wrote:Bon Jovi VS NIN
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
teacake

Post Posted

The larger the scene gets the greater the variety of influences being brought into it by new producers. Change is inevitable, and the bad comes with the good. As for the aesthetic of the culture; some people get fully submerged in every part of a new interest, some just like the tunes, different strokes for different folks. I try to give everything I come across a listen, album art is pretty irrelevant to me personally.

However, if Disaro is a label known for a certain album art aesthetic, then I could see the upset... but even so...

PS: I rather hate collage :?
powwowW

Post Posted

Witch house certainly has changed a bit. I feel as though the initial excitement about the genre is subsiding and the people who were into it because it was the new trend are moving on from it and the ones who were sincerely into the aesthetics and music are just left being kind of like "wtf guys."
███powwowW music███
http://soundcloud.com/powwoww
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

Last edited by Phantasma Disques on August 21st, 2011, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

Phantasma Disques wrote:And this is not kind of development, believe me.
It's not. This is a step back. Witch is taking a step back. At the moment, bar maybe two artists (plucking this number out of thin air) actually still trying to progress Witch House in any fashion, either in terms of aesthetics or actual music. Witch IS a multi-faceted art project (in theory). Part of the problem is that a lot of the people who get into the scene are novices at music production and take some time to build up momentum from hero worship, and because they joined the bandwagon, they spend too much time imitating their masters, or trying to cover all bases with several genres mixed into one.

Meanwhile, the OW's (original witches) either seem to be moving on from their primary interest in Witch House to cleaner, more well-produced and moderated sounds/tempos/effects. I dislike it. On the other hand, lots of artists that got roped into the term are just continuing what they're doing... Thinking of artists like Party Trash, Nattymari, Haruki Tamesue etc.

It looks like actual witch house is suffering death. It's too premature to tell, but it certainly looks like it to me.

Personally I'm getting up to ramming speed before I release... I do want Witch House to progress - all the possibilities are not yet spent, by a long shot.

(Also, Phantasma... I disagree that Witch House isn't about making creepy noises. It's a large part. It's not all it is, but how can anything modal and plain even be considered Witch House? If it's not for inducing nightmares, it's not Witch House... Consequently my best tracks are written when I'm massively paranoid.)
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

Last edited by Phantasma Disques on August 21st, 2011, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disarorecords

Post Posted

1. The artwork for this release was reviewed and approved by the artist. There is an overall concept behind the image on the cover. The image also reflects the overall feel of the music contained within. A lot of thought was put into the album as a whole concept. We didn't want to just grab a picture of a model from an old magazine, cut her eyes out and put a triangle behind it.

2. Other than some color correction, the photo remains as it was taken. Yes, this is a real place, and the photo was taken during a stormy evening.

3. Disaro is not just a witch-house label. Our goal is to move towards a more avant garde space where we can release groundbreaking sounds by up and coming artist with different sounds.

4. While I can appreciate some of the collage work done within the witch house "scene", it's really not my cup of tea. I have been designing music graphics for almost 15 years now, and being stuck to one single style is one of the main things I have always tried to avoid. This is evident by how different the cd cover for SOMA, the new The Present Moment album, and this release are.

Our vision for the label is for our releases to remain relevant and timeless. We will continue to push forward in terms of music and visual easthetic, and we will refuse to be categorized into, or be limited by, any scene.
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

Last edited by Phantasma Disques on August 21st, 2011, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teacake

Post Posted

At this point you're just being a dick.