Tips on How To start a net label?

Ray

Tips on How To start a net label?

Post Posted

I'm thinking that I'm going to start a net label to distribute music freely and give artists a free sort of promoter. Is there anything important that I should know before I dive right into this?
Music that's good (to an extent) goes here.
http://soundcloud.com/ray136
T U N D R A

Re: Tips on How To start a net label?

Post Posted

My advice: don't do a netlabel. There's too many of them and they all do essentially the same thing.

Probably the only netlabels that I've come across that are worth anything are the IDM Forums netlabel and a German label called tonAtom.

If you want to run a label, do it right. Do a mix of physical and digital releases. You can even give stuff away, but netlabels are fairly disposable.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

well said TUNDRA
Ray

Post Posted

The thing I'm worried about is that, if I start a legit label, it'll bankrupt the hell out of me.
Music that's good (to an extent) goes here.
http://soundcloud.com/ray136
T U N D R A

Post Posted

Ray wrote:The thing I'm worried about is that, if I start a legit label, it'll bankrupt the hell out of me.
Yeah, that's a pretty legit fear. However, doing a label is not a half assed thing in my opinion. You either want to do it or you don't. There's not a lot of middle ground.

If you play your cards right, plan ahead, and know the music you're working with, you won't go bankrupt. I've yet to lose money on a release. Obviously things might change with future vinyl releases, but, like anything, it's kind of a gamble.