Dubstep V.S Witch House

mis†er_elec†ric

Re: Dubstep V.S Witch House

Post by mis†er_elec†ric »

Technoctopus wrote:So Ive been showing some Witch House to my friends trying to get them interested but most of them are hardcore Dubstep freaks and they say that Witch House has no energy and takes no talent that Dubstep has tons more energy and that Witch house will never take off I was just wondering some good come backs / arguments that I could use against them.
Also another thing do you think Witch House will be like Dubstep in the terms of it being underground for a long time and rising to mainstream popularity or do you think it will stay underground?
And another question I would like to know from people is would you want Witch House to be mainstream or do you like the idea of it always being underground?
I have the exact situation going on here. One of my friends is a "dubstep" DJ... and he says the same things about witch house. I've been trying to get him to spin some on a slow night or something. But he's not biting. I have a friend who's a bartender and he'll let me plug in my ipod on slow nights. I've had one person say they liked it. Most people just looked uncomfortable.

Dubstep is just a "cover-all" term for all this new hard and dirty "whompy" dance music that has any resemblance to the early two-step days. Kind of like the term "witch house" being applied to anything dark with a hip-hop influence. I think both are gaining exponential recognition but dubstep has a better chance of going mainstream. (As it already has, eg: Britney Spears- Hold it Against Me) I would prefer witch house stays off the airwaves.
⁄̱̱̱̱̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̆̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̨̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̑̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̃ṛ̵̵̵̵̱̊ ̧̧̧̱̱̑̆̆·̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣́̊̉̊̉̉̊̄̋⋆̵̧̧̧̛̛̛̛̦̄̈̊̊̄̉⁄̵̵̵̵̵̛̣̱̱̃̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̛̛̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̑́̄̃̈̃̃̈̄
Technoctopus

Post by Technoctopus »

mis†er_elec†ric wrote:Dubstep is just a "cover-all" term for all this new hard and dirty "whompy" dance music that has any resemblance to the early two-step days. Kind of like the term "witch house" being applied to anything dark with a hip-hop influence. I think both are gaining exponential recognition but dubstep has a better chance of going mainstream. (As it already has, eg: Britney Spears- Hold it Against Me) I would prefer witch house stays off the airwaves.
Yeah I want it to grow enough popularity to where if I go to a Witch House concert there will be a big enough crowd to support the artist playing.
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
dollknife

Post by dollknife »

I have this problem with my boyfriend, who is very into dubstep. He usually refers to witch house as "repetitive droney shit" when I play it.. Doesn't really bother me though. Not everyone has to like what I like 8-)
cutups

Post by cutups »

dollknife wrote:I have this problem with my boyfriend, who is very into dubstep. He usually refers to witch house as "repetitive droney shit" when I play it.. Doesn't really bother me though. Not everyone has to like what I like 8-)
Oddly, the exact same criticism of lots of dubstep.
✝SLAVERY✝

Post by ✝SLAVERY✝ »

I liked dubstep... Until the Facebook crowd and Britney Spears got wind of it. I hope that doesn't make me seem shallow but now I just think its oversaturated and not nearly as interesting as I once thought. I mean I def get bored with witch house at times, as some can be repeative, noisy or just plain obnoxious (won't mention names ;) ) . I've always been drawn to darker music and the genre is less homogenious than dance or rave music so it keeps me coming back for more
M△S▴C△RA

Post by M△S▴C△RA »

WIK/\N wrote:Do they like the "Bomp ,wack,wupp wupp wupp wappa, bomp, wack (repeat)" shit ? ;)
the worst :(
∞))Cr●\▲/Le3Y((∞

Post by ∞))Cr●\▲/Le3Y((∞ »

I love dubstep, but can't stand the fanbase. 95% of the people who say they loooove dubstep only listen to the aggressive powertools and sound effects side of it. I love that shit too, but if you go to a club and hear it for 3 hours straight it can get juuuust a little obnoxious.

Have some chill dubstep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi5fVlVR ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXg40zn ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb5giusY ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRHy_bf1EmY
WIK/\N

Post by WIK/\N »

M△S▴C△RA wrote:
WIK/\N wrote:Do they like the "Bomp ,wack,wupp wupp wupp wappa, bomp, wack (repeat)" shit ? ;)
the worst :(
Its just fucking lazy innit. I hate that 8/16 resonant LFO stuff , that shit aint a bassline its just a fkn mess.

I wanna hear some evil frequencies and colon rupturing subs when i listen to Dubstep not someone making fart noises on a casio ;)
▲▲▲ http://soundcloud.com/wik-n ▲▲▲

▲▲▲ http://wikan.bandcamp.com ▲▲▲

▲▲▲ http://www.facebook.com/THEWIKAN ▲▲▲
TakeshiAndTheKid

Post by TakeshiAndTheKid »

Dubstep tends to be a lot broader than people think.

I do like Dubstep quite a lot aesthetically but there is still a lot of the instance of the same song, or at least sounding like the same artist or album.

Dubstep is best integrated into other musical genres at this stage; and done WELL, I'm looking at you Amanda Palmer and your awful song about your bush with those out of place filter wobbles.
Technoctopus

Post by Technoctopus »

[quote="∞))Cr●\▲/Le3Y((∞"]I love dubstep, but can't stand the fanbase. 95% of the people who say they loooove dubstep only listen to the aggressive powertools and sound effects side of it. I love that shit too, but if you go to a club and hear it for 3 hours straight it can get juuuust a little obnoxious.

Yah the fan base for it is probley one of the biggest turn offs for me
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

dubstep can be cute, but i fail to understand all these people who think it's the greatest thing since sliced beats.
Technoctopus

Post by Technoctopus »

I mean I understand loving the bass ( Which new Dubstep seems to be lacking )
And I understand the build ups and drops in the music butttttttttttt
After a while it gets really old the beats song the same to me most of the bass lines sound the same Im just not impressed anymore
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
puxel

Post by puxel »

make fun of them for listening to brostep. show them this and laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEuFTBG0Rbg
iamthesunset

Post by iamthesunset »

I've found that most people i know that are now into dubstep are people that moved on from metalcore/hardcore bands being too "generic". But if you look a little closer, both styles of music have these build-ups and breakdowns that keep having to mirror each other, and to keep most people's attention this must happen at least 3-4 times per track. It's fucking dumb. And i know if presented with this, 99% of them would deny it. It's as if a song has to have numerous songs contained within it.

That's why, for me, WH is a breath of fresh (dark) air. ;) It finds a steady rhythm, inherits a core bassline, and variations happen around that core, rather than just spazz of into fuck-all. Of course there is more to it than that, but it doesn't adhere to any generic formula like modern pop-dubstep does. I'd rather listen to my balls gliding up and down a samurai sword than listen to most of that shite.
Crayon_Eyes

Post by Crayon_Eyes »

For me Witch House definitely has alot more going on in terms of sound compared to dubstep, which for me is too similar and repetitive. I like the variation that WH has going on. I'll admit I'm not a well seasoned dubstep listener, but the university I attend holds massive dubstep/drum and bass nights because there's a big scene there and while the atmosphere is amazing, the music made it feel like an edurance test because it literally felt like it was gonna go on forever (but maybe being off my face didn't help). I'd really love to experience something smiliar in the WH vein but sadly I don't anticipate that or at least not being as accessable for someone like me for the time being.