Most WTF Cryptic Movies

!!!
iamthesunset

Re: Most WTF Cryptic Movies

Post Posted

Spider Forest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhqCydgmQc

Seriously. I love this film, but what the actual fuck?
Arcanum

Post Posted

I'm really looking forward to Uncle Boonmee, haven't had a chance to watch it yet and it definitely looks "different".

The Man Who Fell To Earth is pretty WTF for the most part, and anything Bowie is involved with is bound to be good.

Dogtooth is fucked up and amazing, one of my favorite films from the last few years... As unsettling as it is funny and it has this very 60s futurist sci-fi feeling to it, even though it's in a contemporary setting and period.

Innocence is a really eerie and metaphoric film that has a very heavy "something is fucking wrong" vibe throughout, it was made by Gaspar Noe's (Irreversible, Enter The Void) girlfriend, so, yeah. Hah.

Any of Werner Herzog's early films like Even Dwarfs Started Small, Stroszek, and Aguirre: The Wrath Of God are pretty weird and deep.

Also, depending on how you perceive the word "cryptic", Bela Tarr's Satantango (7 hours long :D ) and Werckmeister Harmonies, Ingmar Bergman's Persona, and Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker, Zerkalo, and Solyaris are all wonderful meditations on different human themes. I couldn't recommend them enough.

Oh and pretty much anything by Micheal Haneke, if you are comfortable with animal deaths.
Anton Maiof

Post Posted

Arcanum wrote:
Dogtooth is fucked up and amazing, one of my favorite films from the last few years... As unsettling as it is funny and it has this very 60s futurist sci-fi feeling to it, even though it's in a contemporary setting and period.
glad someone else rates this, finally some fresh blood in the long and awesome linage of weirdo greek cinema (that would include Singapore Sling and Island of Death for example)

Singapore Sling is a particularly WTF movie. Piss, Vomit, Incest, Torture and Christ! it's almost sexy!
~-(_DΔZED MΔRROW_)-~

Post Posted

awesome
Neurotic

Post Posted

More love for Even Dwarves Started Small for me. A really hypnotic film. Herzog certainly likes his shots of cars driving in circles, doesn't he?
http://soundcloud.com/dan-wreck
neuroticwreck.bandcamp.com
Mood music for moodswings.
דיבוק

Post Posted

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW is the most witch house movie ever. really deserves its own thread...
twinvessel

Post Posted

דיבוק wrote:BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW is the most witch house movie ever. really deserves its own thread...
Oh totally. Just from the two trailers Ive seen, already my most anticipated film for me next to Prometheus.
I think a lot of people, gosh bless em', don't really *get* the real wh aesthetic. I see people asking advice for band names/themes/art, but it's kind of one dimensional and verging on self parody. When I see the trailer for BTBR, I think of an alternative 80's. That cryptic PBS bumper sound, shows like "In Search Of", David Lynch, films like Altered States, etc. The biggest theme I see in wh is revolving around memories, fleeting dreams and images. It's definitely a huge theme in wh' cousin, 'chillwave'. There's a real maturity to some of the vibe and meditative style of the movie(from what I can glean) that I also see mirrored in acts like AARC, Mascara, etc.