Blue Rita - Vampires In The Night EP (2024)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Blue Rita - Vampires In The Night EP (2024)

Post by zin »

1. Blue Rita - Vampires in the night (Italo Disco Version)
2. Vampires in the night (Mater Suspiria Vision Ghost Drone Edit)

Yet another surprise EP from Phantasma Disques, I have a strong feeling this may be a secret side project of CDX....
The original version is an upbeat pop-ish italo-disco track that's ok I guess, but it's the MSV remix that shines here imho, dragging the vocals down a bit and adding layers of those reverbed drumms.
Πεισίστρατος

Re: Blue Rita - Vampires In The Night EP (2024)

Post by Πεισίστρατος »

Yeah the Italo-Disco sound and aesthetic hit a very specific nerve, at least for me. I don't know if it's limited to people that grew up in Europe at the end of the last century and whether or not Italo-Disco got much attention in the Americas. This type of music was frequently on the radio at that time.
For me, personally, just hearing the original version already scratches at the door of childhood memories and carries a melancholy that is just beneath the threshold of conscious perception. Hearing the dragged version then knocks down that door, with a wave of melancholic sentiment. It's a phenomenon I have observed with many pieces of 80s and 90s music.
There's been a couple of attempts in this direction:

Also all of this is pretty closely related to the mechanics of vaporwave, too - just the focus of the music is shifted a bit.