garageband????!!!!!! OR: ardour??

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
דיבוק

garageband????!!!!!! OR: ardour??

Post Posted

i noticed some people mentioned using this. i'm curious about the features and functionality you find most useful? i am not so impressed with it myself but maybe i'm not hitting the right buttons.
Last edited by דיבוק on May 27th, 2011, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0hPeee

Re: garageband????!!!!!!

Post Posted

it depends what you want to do, but i find it adequate. it does what i need it to do.

you can record into it, layer stuff in multiple tracks, it has a lot of good effects built in, and some good synth sounds too. you can chop and loop things. for a free program that comes on just about every single mac, it's not bad at all.
דיבוק

Re: garageband????!!!!!!

Post Posted

yeah i know. it has some gaps in functionality though and it's a pain to hop back and forth to audacity.
has anyone tried ardour?
Marzip☭n!

Re: garageband????!!!!!! OR: ardour??

Post Posted

I was thinking of doing a GarageBand thread, good you started it.

I actually use almost exclusively Garageband, just using Audacity for the reverse effect. But although, GB seems really userfriendly, doing something decent is actually really hard and need a real knowledge of it. Honestly when I work on a song, I always have to work with a really strict set of rules (not appleloop, no pre-set, limited number of tracks,...) otherwise you end up with something really generic. And not really good.
Lots of things are tricky on Garageband (like the mixing part or the same bpm) but once you know it you can emulate quite a lot of sound: the effect are easy to work, like the synths. I imagine it's the same for any software but if you work seriously on it, you don't need to have more than basic notion of music to do something average/decent/alright/even good. So it's actually can be quite rewarding.
∞))Cr●\▲/Le3Y((∞

Post Posted

well, being spoiled by proper daws like Ableton, Renoise, and Reason, I'm always stunned when I hear someone amazing mention they use garageband. Just in awe, cause i've tried that program and can't make a single fucking melody without getting pissed and flipping shit.

that being said, I'm bumping for more info on ardour. The only things I've heard so far are that it's a Linux-based digital audio workspace
teacake

Post Posted

Garageband? You mean that useless thing that came on my Mac and took up 4 gigs of space for 2 years before I realized I could delete it? haha

I'm not surprised that some people make it work. My long time friend and mentor has been riding FL studio almost exclusively for his entire production history, and I'd always considered it a practice girl to prepare you for something like Ableton.
K_Dub

Post Posted

Always found Garageband (well most Apple software) is a bit too simplistic and doesn't really teach users how DAWs work making it a pretty big leap for beginners tomove onto more powerful DAWs which is a great especially when compared to this less pretty but a lot less condescending Audacity.
Very interested to hear some reviews of Ardour, it looks pretty swank from the site specs
teacake

Post Posted

Audacity... now there is a program I can't figure out worth shit.
Nova Sol

Post Posted

srsly? audacity is amazing, especially considering that it's free. i don't know how to make any recommendations for figuring it out, though, because it's always struck me as pretty simple. what in particular is giving you trouble?
teacake

Post Posted

No worries. I'm content with my current set up.
Paradise Lost

Post Posted

Does audacity allow you to use vst plug ins?
Nova Sol

Post Posted

the new beta does, but the beta's VERY unstable, at least on my machine. ov course, i'm running a very difeerent (and much older) setup than you are, so i recommend giving it a shot.
dirtypharms

Post Posted

i use garage band to make most of my music. it is incredibly difficult. the program has so many flaws, but since i have used it for so many years i know how to work around most of them. one that still bothers me is the fact that the mixing is completely changed when i bounce the track. and i can't get the tracks to be that loud.
☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿DRRTY SWVG☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿☿
dµ5

Post Posted

Talking about Ardour, is a very complete DAW, much professional, hard to learn but powerful. Rocks if you have lots of LADSPA plugins. The important thing about the software is to know how to use it, and like it. I've seen some great things from hell simple software.
Nightbird

Post Posted

@ dµ5

Hey

Just wanted to tell you.. really like your track over at Soundcloud:

Noisy Town (Middle Nowhere rehearsal take)

Very, very nice work !!

Did you make the sounds yourself, or use samples I wonder ?
Either way.. great track