When is a song remix and when can it be called original

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
K▼L▲M†††B▲R▲NG

When is a song remix and when can it be called original

Post by K▼L▲M†††B▲R▲NG »

A friend and I have been talking about this and relating it to sample based music. Like for our band K▼L▲M†††B▲R▲NG (here) we sample heavily, and we can't decide if a track should be called a remix since we sampled the whole vocal track of whatever song. So we eventually decided that if we sampled more that one vocal track, and thus making something "original" (in our ears at least), we'll title the song whatever we want.

Basically my question is: when can you call a sample heavy song your own original?
You get sloppy drunk. I stay whisky neat. My clique should be cancelled -- FREAKS AND GEEKS.
teacake

Re: When is a song remix and when can it be called original

Post by teacake »

It's a gray area, and you'll get a slightly different answer from everyone as a result.

As for myself. If I sampled a complete vocal track, but placed it over original beats and melodies, I would most likely call it an original, but give it a title that references the original vocals in some way.
Nova Sol

Post by Nova Sol »

i'm inclined to consider anything that contains 25%+ ov the elements ov a given song a remix ov that song, and a mashup fi it caontains 25%+ ov the elements ov more than one song, but ultimately it's up to the person doïng the remix/original song/whatever.

side note: the KLF and DJ sharpnel basically invented this grey area.
teacake

Post by teacake »

*sorry double post*
Last edited by teacake on August 17th, 2011, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
teacake

Post by teacake »

Yeah, but how you define that 25% is the gray area.

On a somewhat related note, plunderphonics have been a part of underground electronica since samplers arrived on the scene. It seems like it's always been in the spirit of things to take something that is blatantly stolen and claim it as your own, and by the time anyone would call you out on it, you'd be working on something else. It's an ironically apathetic take on the theft of intellectual property; people take vocals and use them the same as they'd use a snare drum hit, it's just another component for your work.
Anton Maiof

Post by Anton Maiof »

In my opinion it is about intent. Did you intend to do a remix or create an original work?
m◊◊nlit

Post by m◊◊nlit »

That's a good way to look at it Anton, and probably the way I would too.

With, say, Ʌ's remix of Nelly Furtado's 'Say It Right' you can tell it was intended all along to simply be a remix.