Are You New Here? Read this.

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
T U N D R A

Are You New Here? Read this.

Post Posted

There's been a lot of posting faux pas made by newbies in these parts, so let's create a rolling/possibly sticky thread to educate the newcomers.

This is not a thread to talk shit on newcomers or bring up past issues, let's just outline some base rules:

1. No download links to music that aren't yours - People on this board don't really dig you not supporting indie labels, artists, etc.
2. Think before you post - There's a million topics on SALEM. Do we need any more?
3. Please, no obvious trolling - Topics on Witchbook and "Look at what random ASCII symbols I can make" are overdone and not cool.

Anyone have anything else? Is any of this too much?

I'll update this post as we figure out more stuff to add/what to edit.
Last edited by T U N D R A on September 3rd, 2011, 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nova Sol

Re: Are You New Here? Read this.

Post Posted

it may seem obvious, but for the sake ov clarity i would amend rule 1. to no download links that are not your own work.
teacake

Post Posted

T U N D R A wrote: 3. Please, no obvious trolling - As much fun as Witchbook topics are, they don't provide a whole lot of worthwhile content for this board. Let's keep this place as positive as possible and as helpful/useful as possible.
:roll:

4. No "Look at how I can make random symbols that mean nothing" threads. :lol:
mis†er_elec†ric

Post Posted

T U N D R A wrote:There's been a lot of posting faux pas made by newbies in these parts, so let's create a rolling/possibly sticky thread to educate the newcomers.

1. No download links to music that isn't yours
What about a compilation of freely-available tracks or links to freely available tracks?
⁄̱̱̱̱̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̆̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̨̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̑̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̃ṛ̵̵̵̵̱̊ ̧̧̧̱̱̑̆̆·̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣́̊̉̊̉̉̊̄̋⋆̵̧̧̧̛̛̛̛̦̄̈̊̊̄̉⁄̵̵̵̵̵̛̣̱̱̃̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̛̛̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̑́̄̃̈̃̃̈̄
T U N D R A

Post Posted

mis†er_elec†ric wrote:
T U N D R A wrote:There's been a lot of posting faux pas made by newbies in these parts, so let's create a rolling/possibly sticky thread to educate the newcomers.

1. No download links to music that isn't yours
What about a compilation of freely-available tracks or links to freely available tracks?
I think the rule should simply be this: if the album, EP, etc exists in either a) a physical format, or b) is a purchasable download, then a free link should NOT be posted (unless of course it's posted by the artist/label).
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

M△S▴C△RA

Post Posted

bump :geek:
puxel

Post Posted

bumping a sticky lolwut

i'm guessing links to personal blogs where mediafire links are present is out of the question?
T U N D R A

Post Posted

puxel wrote:bumping a sticky lolwut

i'm guessing links to personal blogs where mediafire links are present is out of the question?
For me, it's all about context. If you want to post your personal blog that may/may not contain links to releases, fine. My main problem is the lack of subtlety that comes with most people posting download links.

I'd probably say, however, for the sake of these rules that any blogs blatantly hosting download links probably shouldn't be posted.
Las House Onna Lef

Post Posted

Must the site admin be liable for the links and copyright violations which are associated with posting download links?
T H I S H O U S E I S F U L L O F N O I S E | S O U N D C L O U D | B A N D C A M P | F A C E B O O K | L A S T . F M
Paradise Lost

Post Posted

I can appreciate the sentiments here, but at the same time, which house should be a little edgy. NOt everyone that's into this shit is little bitches right?
T U N D R A

Post Posted

Paradise Lost wrote:I can appreciate the sentiments here, but at the same time, which house should be a little edgy. NOt everyone that's into this shit is little bitches right?
"Little bitches?"

Look, you do whatever you want, but providing download links for stuff that's available to purchase is not "edgy."
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

Agreed. Killing the music you love might be edgy, but don't expect the musicians you love to play out anywhere near you because they have no idea about 1) how popular they are 2) how many people might actually want to see them and 3) whether anyone will help with the financial details involved.

More than likely they'd just go back to their shitty day jobs and give up on music. Congrats - edginess and cool preserved, move along. /rantover.
Pe† Ceme†ery

Post Posted

Also: Witch House*
|ͯ̈̀̿̂̑͑ͭ͋̓͒͗ͭͯ̐̏ͫͦ

Post Posted

teacake wrote:
T U N D R A wrote: 3. Please, no obvious trolling - As much fun as Witchbook topics are, they don't provide a whole lot of worthwhile content for this board. Let's keep this place as positive as possible and as helpful/useful as possible.
:?

4. No "Look at how I can make random symbols that mean nothing" threads. :lol:
looks like you guys are going to need to report my user name then. good luck with that.

p.s. you can call me OMG (ohm-gee). " xt :x " is my surname. :)