(2010 May 8) Not For Resale blogs about PWIN ▲▲ TEAKS

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
zin
ɅDM†N

(2010 May 8) Not For Resale blogs about PWIN ▲▲ TEAKS

Post by zin »

Original link:
http://nfrblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/pwin-teaks.html
Spoiler
PWIN ▲▲ TEAKS
Saturday, 8 May 2010

This is an interesting one, as befits this interesting juncture we find ourselves at as the subgenre eddies of Chillwave and Witch House spin off into different shapes, some remingling and others whirling further from the motherpool that is Hypnogogic Pop. 80's + cognitive dissonance = 2010. Sharing a similarity in ambience to Ducktails with their languid tropical shimmertone that sits them firmly in the Chillwave camp there is also a malevolence in the way PWIN ▲▲ TEAKS dismember and recast radio hits of the 80's that is one of the gory signatures of Witch House. That and the geometry in the name. Sympathetic sampling is one of Chillwave's central tenets, but over on the darker side its more about the torturing, like some kind of payback for all those times trapped with the radio tuned to a local Golden Hits. Their top friends on myspazz are Kria Brekkan, Washed Out, Disaro and How I Quit Crack. There's some kind of coordinates for you there.

Here's two tracks to celebrate and demonstrate the fork in the road that we're getting to chose a route down.

First, take I Will Always Love You - a remix, reworking or ritual sacrifice (whichever way you want to spin it) so profoundly simple, sinister and unnerving the Master Butcher would be proud to hang it in alongside his greatest love songs. Check the way the track gets sucked into a dismal vortex around the 4 minute mark, then pops back out into it's parallel dimensional form of euphoria. Beautiful freaky. Then listen to Beach Bubble and just lay back and relax as it's soporific heatwave fans out over your body slowly brushing across your skin in waves of lilting intensity as the clouds gently shade the colour of its rays.

Posted by Meatbreak at 09:39
Labels: chillwave, debut video, Disaro, ducktails, how I quit crack, hypnogogic pop, kria brennan, microgenres, subgenres, v/vm, washed out, witch house

Tags: