VOIDXWITCH - Ecstasy In Darkness (2023)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

VOIDXWITCH - Ecstasy In Darkness (2023)

Post by zin »

VOIDXWITCH is a witch-house project of Hayley "Hex" Evans, one half of ritual drone band Blood and Dust from Montreal, Canada. Her debut release "Ecstasy In Darkness" is a brutally honest and retrospective foray into the world of pain, anger and sadness translated through dark electronic music. Co-produced by her B&D partner Lizbeth Poirier, the EP is a brooding take on witchhouse interwoven with elements of industrial, goth and electro-pop. Anyone fond of last year's LP from Alice Glass will love the honesty here, while fans of mainstream witch-house that doesn't sound like it was hastily produced according to Wikipedia recipe will love the rich compositions. The closing track "Requiem For The Night" is simply fantastic, dancefloor killer for all the vampires and werewolves.

voidxwitch

Re: VOIDXWITCH - Ecstasy In Darkness (2023)

Post by voidxwitch »

hello, thanks so much for the write-up & share, i'm grateful to be featured on here. very fitting that Alice Glass is mentioned, she was a massive inspiration to me during the creation process and i had the chance to meet her which was cool. the CD for this EP and a zine of additional lore regarding the autobiographical content of the EP will be available again in mid-december on bandcamp.

while this is far from traditional witch-house, i will say for a lot of the tracks i set out to try and make a witch-house song, but always ended up with something very different each time. i'd say my tracks "are you ok?" and "i was alone" are probably the closest sound to witch-house. the synths, themes, and aesthetics of the sub-genre influenced me greatly however, and i'm sure it shows through in some ways.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

btw was tha guitar in "Kill the pain" sampled? or you played it? it makes me think of Kno's album, as in the mood you managed to create there
voidxwitch

Post by voidxwitch »

it was a sample, and my mixer juiced it up. thanks for introducing me to Kno, i'm listening now and liking what i hear. the vibe is indeed similar - i'm hearing what's possibly spaghetti-western influence, which is fully a part of my inspiration and sound.