Aggregators and distributors for streaming

Production, hardware & technical - tips and tricks.
WraithVeil

Aggregators and distributors for streaming

Post by WraithVeil »

I'm looking at making the step up from Soundcloud in the future and putting music on platforms like Spotify. I know someone who is quite happy with distrokid. CDbaby was another one I looked at. As I'd probably be releasing individual songs throughout a year rather than one album or EP, a yearly fee would probably work out cheaper for me than a per release payment model.

I'd be interested to hear if you've used an aggregator and what your experience with them was like, especially in a genre which is rife with samples, drags, vocal stems from other songs etc. I know distrokid charge $12 per year per song to license cover songs but don't allow medleys or mashups. Basically I'm wondering how someone like Blvck Ceiling gets around this, other than listing himself as the songwriter?

tendernessofwolves

Re: Aggregators and distributors for streaming

Post by tendernessofwolves »

A lot of the independent musicians I know have gone with Distrokid and that's what I'm thinking of doing for my next EP and singles (one of which will be a cover song). I'm not sure how you would get around medleys/mashups other than putting them out as a free download and claim under fair usage that you're not profiting off them.

WraithVeil

Post by WraithVeil »

Taking a look at their website I found this:

"My Music Contains Sampling from Other Songs. Is That Okay?

DistroKid can help with covers. DistroKid cannot help with samples.

What's the difference?

Sampling

Sampling is when you use the actual recording of another artist's performance. For example, if you use the 1971 recording of Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks" as your drum track. That's generally not legal, unless you have permission from the original artist or owner of the copyright."

Makes me wonder how many of the samples The Prodigy used in "Smack My Bitch Up" they got clearance for, and how many they just manipulated in the hope they'd be unrecognisable. I guess those were different times anyway.

tendernessofwolves

Post by tendernessofwolves »

WraithVeil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:01 am Taking a look at their website I found this:

"My Music Contains Sampling from Other Songs. Is That Okay?

DistroKid can help with covers. DistroKid cannot help with samples.

What's the difference?

Sampling

Sampling is when you use the actual recording of another artist's performance. For example, if you use the 1971 recording of Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks" as your drum track. That's generally not legal, unless you have permission from the original artist or owner of the copyright."

Makes me wonder how many of the samples The Prodigy used in "Smack My Bitch Up" they got clearance for, and how many they just manipulated in the hope they'd be unrecognisable. I guess those were different times anyway.
It's probably a lot easier if your label has a lawyer on speed dial to sort this shit out lol. If I remember correctly, when the KLF created Doctorin' The Tardis and put it out as The Timelords, the BBC which owned the copyright on the Dr Who samples they used took their word that they "replicated" them on a synthesiser before they could appear on Top of the Pops.

The BBC has a guide around sampling and getting permissions. But I honestly doubt a lot, especially around film samples etc are strictly enforced, unless it sells like 100,000 copies...

WraithVeil

Post by WraithVeil »

I went with distrokid in the end. It'll push me to do more original work and less covers/remixes.

zin
Site Admin

Post by zin »

I've used https://www.routenote.com/ - you can upload your albums for free, but they take a cut from your streams. Since I'm not planning to make any money from it (I just wanted to have my label's discography there) I went for it. They get a bit picky about samples though, couldn't upload HEVEN's album because of that.

Also, I'll stick this thread on top of this forum, I think it's quite useful.