(2010 Jul 23) Pendu Magazine publishes interview with The Present Moment

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
zin
ɅDM†N

(2010 Jul 23) Pendu Magazine publishes interview with The Present Moment

Post Posted

Original link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20101113220 ... interview/
Click to read
The Present Moment: The Pendu Magazine Interview Pendu Mag
Jul 23rd 2010

[Outside the club, Glasslands Gallery, Johnny Sagan of PENDU interviews Scott and Isul of T

[Outside the club, Glasslands Gallery, Johnny Sagan of PENDU interviews Scott and Isul of THE PRESENT MOMENT after their NYC-debut for PENDU DISCO at Glasslands Gallery]

Johnny Sagan: So…

Scott: Do you have a light, or…?

Johnny Sagan: Unfortunately, I don’t have a light.

Isul: I don’t [see any?], motherfuckers! No, not really, I…[unintelligible].

Johnny Sagan: I brought weed, I brought a one-hitter, but I didn’t bring a lighter.

Isul: It’s always funny, it’s like the people who actually smoke never have lighters.

Johnny Sagan: Well, because we steal them from each other.

Isul: You actually agree with me on that one. I like to hang out in the smoking section but not smoke…I, like, fake it.

Johnny Sagan: Aw, perfect. Perfect. Okay, let’s see if we can do this…[we both try to light our cigarettes off a votive candle]…use your long magician’s fingers…musician’s fingers…you can do it…Barcelona Style. I call this Barcelona Style…you are brilliant. That’s why you get the big bucks.

Isul: (mumbling) Yeah right, the NONE bucks…

Johnny Sagan: The Nunchuks…

Isul: Yeah…the nunchucks…[unintelligible].

Johnny Sagan: Okay, so: I’m here with The Present Moment. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Scott: Let’s hope so.

(both laugh)

Johnny Sagan: This is…just a couple moments, the initial Pendu Magazine interview. I’m gonna get the CD-R and spend some time, but I spent the afternoon with Myspace Music…unfortunately, the computer I was on was shitty, (laughter) so I could not watch the video, but I’m very excited…who directed the video?

Scott: Ah, Carla Aduvia, and then Black Betty did [The High Road].

Johnny Sagan: Oh, okay.

Scott: Black Betty Productions out of LA. Carla’s out of LA, too.

Johnny Sagan: Okay, okay. Very cool. Where…

Scott: Damage Is Love, Carla Aduvia; The High Road, Black Betty.

Johnny Sagan: And where did you film the Damage Is Love video?

Scott: Um, in Elysian Park, in Echo Park, in Los Angeles.

Johnny Sagan: Okay, so one of those places where…that are all over LA, where people can, like, go hike in the middle of the city, kind of?

Scott: Yeah. Yeah, it’s in my neighborhood. It’s actually, like, almost right outside where I live, so…it was cool, because it’s not like [Griffith/Griffin] Park, which is littered with, like, tourists and people all the time. There’s nobody out there after twelve. So we had…we scared a lot of people, obviously, that day..

Isul: Oh no! (laughs)

Scott: …’cause we were, like, chasing this girl around like we were gonna [be] kill [-ing] her, and people are jogging by trying to be healthy and shit, and they’re like, “What the fuck?!”

(JHS laughs, hahaha)

Scott: So it was actually kind of funny, you know?

(Isul laughs)

Scott: And I fractured my rib, and we got all beat up, and…it was crazy. It was fun.

Johnny Sagan: And then where was the other video filmed?

Scott: Umm…in my house. Where I live.

Johnny Sagan: In Echo Park, Los Angeles.

Scott: In Echo Park. In my apartment. And then, ah…out in the woods, and then in the, ah…front door, where I live, yeah.

Johnny Sagan: So one thing I have to ask, about LA.

Scott: Yeah.

Johnny Sagan: Like, it seems…I’ve never had an LA Period…I’ve never lived there, I’ve just visited there a bunch of times, but it seems like it inspires people to make, like…to go toward the dark side, and make amazing dark music…

Scott: Hahaha! [It’s ‘cause there are lots of stupid people in LA!]

Isul: (laughs)

Scott: Ah, I like Los Angeles, but I think…I think the thing about Los Angeles is that it always, and for quite a while…every night, there’s, um…a death rock [night/band], a gothic night, an industrial night…like, all together…all, you know…put together. So…it’s not lacking at all, by any stretch of the imagination, no.

Johnny Sagan: Well, and people live the lifestyle, too.

Scott: Yeah, I mean, they really do. I mean, it’s totally…it’s…

Johnny Sagan: I think it might…it may be a byproduct of sun avoidance (The Present Moment laughs), which is necessitated by…the pitiless climate, you know?

Scott: Yeah, I mean, you know…it’s also wrapped up in sexuality, too. I mean, people are into their, like, subcultures, and it’s cool. And I’ve always liked that. You know? It’s liberating…it’s like no-holds-barred, just living your life. So everybody hangs out: gay, straight, whatever…and has a good time. They do that, obviously, in New York…

Johnny Sagan: Hell yeah.

Scott: And in LA, you kinda expect that would be the case, but like…like they play good music here, it does happen in LA. You just have to go away from the Strip…away from Hollywood.

Johnny Sagan: Where do you hang out in Hollywood? Like, where should we be seeking out when we go there?

Scott: Ah, Silverlake. Silverlake, Echo Park, and then Downtown Los Angeles. Her boyfriend owns a gallery…he’s, ah…Terrell Moore, he’s a genius.

Isul: Downtown…

Scott: He’s got a nice space there.

Johnny Sagan: What’s the gallery called, Terrell Moore Gallery?

Isul: Stay the fuck away from Hollywood, it’s, ah…

Scott: Yeah: that’s it!

Isul: That scene’s over.

Scott: Yeah, the Miley Cyrus machine keeps turning, so…

Isul: Yeah…

Johnny Sagan: But we’ll be forever inspired by the days of Decline And Fall Of Western Civilization Part 2.

Scott: Well, that’s exactly where we are and where we’re headed. I mean, you know…I don’t feel the future’s that bright. I do have faith, though, in people. But at the same time, like…I think…I think we have to be…really fuck ourselves over to really learn anything substantial. Even like, Nagasaki or other atrocities, Hitler…have we really learned? No, I don’t think so.

Johnny Sagan: No?!?

Scott: Not really.

Johnny Sagan: It takes a lot.

Scott: Yeah, so I think it’s like (laughs)…so I’m kinda like, you know, not too optimistic. And I think, like, ah, in this country, too, especially, it’s like…I thought Obama would be the answer to a large degree, but it’s just like the whole system’s just broken. I’m waiting for, like, a revolution to come, you know?

Johnny Sagan: Well, I think a revolution of consciousness IS occurring.

Scott: Yeah, totally.

Johnny Sagan: I think that’s WHY the system will be unable to perpetuate itself, is that our generation is too awake…

Scott: Too tuned-in.

Johnny Sagan: Yeah, too tuned-in to the human condition. And we’re like, “Wait, what the fuck?”

Scott: Yeah.

Johnny Sagan: The only way we built all this stuff, and the only way you could keep it going, would be to be like, in denial and insanely optimistic about some things, and completely afraid of others, and we’re not like that.

Scott: I think [all of our generations] sort of built up to this: we have a high radar for bullshit.

Johnny Sagan: Yes!

Scott: Right?

Johnny Sagan: Yes.

Scott: So it’s just like, “OK, well…you know…ah, no. I don’t fuckin’ think so. We’re not buyin’ this.” We haven’t bought it since like, I don’t know…punk rock, back in like the Eighties. It’s like, to me it’s like…it’s happening now. It’s totally happening. So…tune in, drop out, you know.

Johnny Sagan: Exactly. And so the Present Moment is a relatively new project, right?

Scott: Well, even the Present Moment, like, as a name, was kinda like really…like you were saying, about being a little bit more tuned in. And a little bit more Zen and…but, you know…and it also was cool, because it could be anything at any time. It could change up, because [it was…with an] electro record, we could do, like, whatever. I liked that, ‘cause it’s freedom.

Johnny Sagan: And I mean…did you…did you…was this freely creative period you’ve entered into, was it precipitated by…some kind of…

TPM: It’s something…it’s really something that I kept on the back burner for several years, ‘cause I had a band called Catalog that was, like, really everything I did. And then Robert Disaro, from Disaro, out of Houston, um, approached me. He said, “I like what I hear…you wanna put a record out?” And I was like, “Well, someone’s listening. Awesome.” And so, ah…I had, you know, the fire under my ass, so I had to make a record. I did that, and now it’s, um, gonna be picked up on Desire in France.

Johnny Sagan: Whaaaat?

Scott: It’s out…this week.

Johnny Sagan: My God. So are you going over there?

Scott: I want to, yeah. That would be nice! Fly us over, we’ll show up!

Johnny Sagan: So who…who’s on your team? Like, I mean…I mean, obviously…

Scott: Well, um…like…Tense, who’s on Desire as well and now Disaro. Um, Mater Suspiria, as far as psychedelic LSD videos, is fuckin’ brilliant. Um… How I Quit Crack, … Um, I don’t know, I mean, I like IAMX. He’s still probably one of my favorite artists. Ah, Fever Ray. I love Fever Ray.

Johnny Sagan: I saw IAMX in Rome…

Scott: Fucking awesome [man/band]. Great, great songs…really, really good songs.

Johnny Sagan: Ohhhhh!

Scott: Killer voice, great stage presence. I mean, you know. He’s the real deal.

Johnny Sagan: It was cool seeing him in Rome, because, um…in the way that, like, in America, people might drive in for a show from other states, people made their way to Rome from other countries…like, people were like, “We’re from Romania! We love IAMX.”

Scott: [Ah/nah], I love his songs. And he played like two nights in LA, and it was sold out, no record label backing him up. Total grassroots…I mean, really, I that’s always, like, kinda were it’s at. If you wanna do anything with integrity, you really can’t care too much about…pretty much what anyone things. And you hope that…we all know, there’s good people. We’re here, you’re here, it’s good.

Johnny Sagan: Hell yeah. No, that’s the best…

Scott: It all works out.

Johnny Sagan: This is my church. This is my church.

Scott: Exactly.

Johnny Sagan: And I mean…okay, here’s my final question for this mini interview, before I really get into your catalog. Um, for you, like…you know, between going in the studio and making records, and performing live, like what do you like about each one? How are you feeling about each one?

Scott: I’m really like a hermit by nature, so I really like being in my studio and making my records. I mean, I wasn’t really designed to be, like, a fun person. It’s kind of weird. So…I prefer to make records. And if we can do it live, and people like it…that’s where it’s enjoyable, is like, people who are sincere, that have gotten something out of it. You know, then it’s all worth it, absolutely, you know? It gives me faith that I…[faith to/can] do what I [want to do/wanna], you know?

Johnny Sagan: And actually, if you’ll indulge me, I have a couple of questions about the studio process for you. Like, what’s your native instrument? If only…even if it’s only the voice, that you, like, first compose songs on.

Scott: Um, like bass. Synth bass. I like to start with like a beat.

Johnny Sagan: Whaaaat? Oh my God, you’re killing me right now!

Isul: Well, he’s actually a very talented drummer, I don’t know if you know that.

Johnny Sagan: No, I don’t know that.

Scott: What?

Isul: That’s actually how we met. He was playing drums in this band. I was kind of playing bass, not really…

Scott: Yeah. A great band called Merrick’s Model, uh…yeah, he’s working with Paul Barker from Ministry now? He just left…and we were bummed out.

Johnny Sagan: I’m from Chicago, so…big up Ministry.

Scott: He went to Texas, and we’re like, “Good luck!”, you know?

Isul: He knows rhythm, he knows…you know.

Scott: Yeah, great singer, good song-…fuckin’ amazing songwriter. Our hearts were a little broken over it.

Johnny Sagan: I think we’re living in a golden age for drummers.

Isul: I know Scott first as a drummer…

Johnny Sagan: Well also, I mean…I was just thinking about what a great golden age for drumming it is, because I picked up this free jazz newspaper that they give out in New York. And there were all these great reviews of crazy avant-garde drumming projects. And I…you know, I love dance music. And so, I’m seeing everything people are doing. And, like…I feel like…you know, you’re talking about this drummer that got away…you know, this guy that got away in your group

Yeah, he’s the drummer who got away

Johnny Sagan: We have that talent pool in dark disco music, you know?

Scott: I always grew up on like disco and funk records. Chic, and, ah…Stevie Wonder. I still always base what I write like on grooves and bass and drums. The lyrics are rhythmic, and…they’re all rhythmic. And everything else is just like fucked up sort of droning.

Johnny Sagan: …You’re blowing my mind, you’re blowing my mind…I’m trying to keep up. And then, I mean…your studio, this hallowed laboratory that I’m picturing. It’s at your house in Echo Park?

Scott: Ah…yeah, yeah.

Johnny Sagan: And I mean, do you have any, like, pieces of equipment that are like…that you want to tell the world are your like, pieces de resistance?

Scott: I would rather keep it a secret.

Johnny Sagan: Keep it a secret, keep it a secret. How did you come to play here tonight?

Scott: Well, I respect Todd Pendu a lot, what he does in New York, so it was like…I wanted to play here. I approached him about a month ago, and he’s like, “Oh shit, you’re gonna miss the 29th!” And I, like, rearranged my flight to make it here.

Johnny Sagan: Oh sweet.

Scott: We came here for Todd.

Johnny Sagan: SO awesome. No, this is my home…my clubbing home in New York. This and CHERYL: The Dance Party That Will Ruin Your Life, hopefully you guys will play there one day.

Scott: Well, and too, we get to play our first show in New York Fucking City! We’re from the East Coast, so we’re like…we wanna play here first, and then we’ll do our thing in LA when we get back.

Johnny Sagan: Very cool, very cool.

Scott: So thank you.

Johnny Sagan: Yeah, thank you. And I’m gonna listen to the CDR, and I might email you with some questions after I get to hear, it man.

Scott: Please do. (laughs)

Johnny Sagan: Alright, thanks you guys. Wait, say your name again real quick for the…

Isul: Isul.

Johnny Sagan: And what…and what’s your…tell us a little tiny bit about yourself.

Isul: About myself?

Johnny Sagan: Yeah.

Isul: Well, um…I am a blonde Asian chick. This has (fingers hair) taken me years to…

Johnny Sagan: It’s natural! It’s totally natural, it’s hers!

Isul: I’m a rock singer and singer-songwriter by trade, but I met Scott in this other project we were talking about earlier, and, ah…it just…I’m along for the ride.

Johnny Sagan: Very cool.

Isul: …and New York’s my hometown, so I’m happy to be here and be a part of it, it’s fucking amazing!

Johnny Sagan: Sweet. Well, you rocked our souls tonight. You rocked our souls.

Isul: Sweet! Well, I’m happy you guys liked it. I’m glad you guys liked it.

—–

Interview Conducted, Recorded and Transcribed by Johnny Sagan. More photos, mp3s, videos, etc from THE PRESENT MOMENT can be found at http://www.pendu.org/events/past/06-29-10.

Tags: