(2011 Jan 31) EverythingIsChemical publishes 'EIC's 10Q's w/ Lake R▲dio'

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
zin
ɅDM†N

(2011 Jan 31) EverythingIsChemical publishes 'EIC's 10Q's w/ Lake R▲dio'

Post Posted

Original link:
http://eictest.blogspot.com/2011/01/eic-wlake-rdio.html
Click to read
EIC'S10Q'S w/Lake R▲dio
Monday, January 31, 2011

"..mixing styles of 90's Acid House (sort of) with the earlier days of sample driven Industrial music, Witch House, modern Psychedelic textures, and euphoric IDM, this is something any "techno head" could easily lay their ears into..(oh, and it's free too:)"

Lake R▲dio
Atramentous Cunning-Tronica

Lake R▲dio Bio:
This pet project of Illinois native Caden Moore was done as an exploration into the “darker” realm of music and himself. Citing dreams as the biggest driving force for Lake R▲dio, it’s no wonder his songs have an other-worldly charm, an inverse familiarity like hearing or seeing in a dream. This down tempo electronic music is equal measure creepy and calming that has a gift of taking you away into it’s own world… like a fantastic acid trip where you still have that sneaking suspicion may turn bad at any minute.

Almost all of Lake R▲dio’s samples come from VHS recordings, cassette tapes, some vinyl and even YouTube videos which help explain the well worn and even sinister intimacy all of the songs posses. In many ways for Caden, his Lake R▲dio songs are almost reincarnations of audio that had once existed in a new body of sound.

Hello, how are you?
I am good. It is 4:04 AM I just woke up from sleeping a disgustingly long time. Around 18 hours.

What are you currently listening to?
"Heavy Water/I’d Rather Be Sleeping" by Grouper

Who/what inspired you the most when you began writing for this project?
When I was a kid I had really bad nightmares. Really bizarre, trippy stuff that would freak me the fuck out. I remember these dreams really vividly, too. They weren’t so much about spooky things but were more about bizarre and uncomfortable situations. I also had pretty bad anxiety as a kid, which I feel were a direct result of these nightmares (or maybe the other way around…). Anyway, those dreams I had as a kid are something I try to convey in my music. The more technical answer is that almost all of my songs are based around one sample and a lot of time I try to see how much I can manipulate a sample or how far I can stretch it and mold it into something new.

Is it safe to put you in the Drag/Witch House genre?
Maybe. The triangle in the name doesn’t help. Honestly, I don’t listen to enough Witch House to know whether or not my music falls under that genre. I suppose some of it could be considered Witch House, especially the first two EPs. A lot of my favorite artists are hard to classify with one genre and that is something I am trying to do with my music.

What do you do for a day job?
I am currently unemployed. I did used to teach senior citizens how to use computers, though, which was beyond frustrating. Right now I am in my second year of community college. Next year I will probably be going to Columbia or some sort of liberal arts school in Chicago.

What was your favorite album of 2010?
It’s hard to say since this year was sort of a dud in terms of music. I am terrible at picking favorites but I really enjoyed "Halcyon Digest" by Deerhunter.

Whom you would you like most to collaborate with?
Boards of Canada. It’s the cliché answer for any aspiring electronic musician nowadays, but the fact that they are so allusive and almost mythical is reason enough to want to work with them. It would be amazing to see how they work to create such beautiful music. I would also love to collaborate with a rapper but I don’t listen to any rap music so I don’t know which rapper like to collaborate with. Jay Z maybe? Kanye West? I don’t know.

What’s next for Lake R▲dio?
No idea. I have a few songs I am working on. I might do a remix album where I remix a bunch of my friend’s music as well as some mainstream songs but I haven’t started that yet. Lately I have been spending most of my free-time finishing up an EP with my band Heavy Ghost so I haven’t had a chance to work on any Lake Radio stuff. The next thing I release is probably going to be an EP. I want to start adding more melody and also vocals. The songs I am working on are pretty Shoegazey.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
"Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

Are you living your dreams?
Not yet. Soon.

Thanx Caden!

Lake R▲dio is currently working on a follow up to last year's highly overlooked "Planet Earth About To Be Recycled"...

Posted by maestro.-.mischief

Labels: 10 questions with, boards of canada, deerhunter, electronic, grouper, heavy ghost, house, lake r▲dio, my bloody valentine, witch house

Tags: