Whatup players

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Trash

Info Whatup players

Post Posted

I'm stoked that the forum is back, although sad to say, I rarely posted when it was in its prime. Needless to say, I'm way out of the loop on what's happenin' now as far as drag, screwgaze, wh is concerned I rly on listen to the older ish. I've heard a few newer tunes I can get down with. But It seems like it's lost that 'magic' it was more than a collection of sounds. It was a feeling you felt atleast I did. I've put out a bunch off stuff, under different aliasas , I'm not here trying to promote myself or some corny shit like that tho. But word ive heard some weird shit oh like uh wh isn't called witchhouse.. it's called 'wave ' or some shit.. I dunno I'm noddin' off. Ima go chill. Peace 👻
yaka-anima

Re: Whatup players

Post Posted

yes, the old times was much better. drag, screwgaze original sound don't exist in the current music projects of the genre. Now all must have HQ standards and sound exactly equal between each music project. But anyway there's some artists that continue making some very good music, even on these very weird times. regards
:skull: :ghost: :coffin: :skull: :ghost:
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

hey!! there are some really good albums still coming out, check out my pics for 2020 releases:
https://witch-house.com/bestof2020/ (click Witch-House.com button)

Also this one really "got me" this year:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7364

Chino Amobi (fka Diamong Black Hearted Boy) dropped new EP last month and this one track makes me think of old 2010 WH:
WraithVeil

Post Posted

To be honest, I'm ten years older now so just about to all music hits me differently than it did in 2010. A lot of today's stuff is more polished in general, but I can appreciate that sound as well as the older lo-fi artists. WH was never popular in my country, but I think the people who are still into it in 2021 are in it for the love of it, not just the aesthetic.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

WraithVeil wrote: April 19th, 2021, 1:09 am To be honest, I'm ten years older now so just about to all music hits me differently than it did in 2010. A lot of today's stuff is more polished in general, but I can appreciate that sound as well as the older lo-fi artists. WH was never popular in my country, but I think the people who are still into it in 2021 are in it for the love of it, not just the aesthetic.
agree with the polished comment. made a meme about it a while ago that ruffled some feathers from the new wave folks lol

ImageImage

Australia has some sick WH artists man, Lovedied, GOSTS, Date Rape, Ourobonic Plague, Hollow Press, Horse Macgyver
WraithVeil

Post Posted

zin wrote: April 27th, 2021, 6:31 pm

agree with the polished comment. made a meme about it a while ago that ruffled some feathers from the new wave folks lol

Australia has some sick WH artists man, Lovedied, GOSTS, Date Rape, Ourobonic Plague, Hollow Press, Horse Macgyver
That meme is great haha. I'm here for all of it. As a black metal fan I love what Behemoth are doing and one of my favourite albums is Cradle Of Filth's "Cruelty and the Beast", but I'll listen to scuzzy shit like Satanic Warmaster or early Burzum stuff as well.

I personally like to layer tons of sounds in my music and have a high standard of production, I guess because I've worked as an audio engineer and I grew up idolizing the first few NIN albums and EP's and what Reznor did on soundtracks like Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway. But there's something beautiful about a simple lo-fi Reese bass and a trap beat with distorted kicks.

I knew of some of those artists, like Ourobonic Plague, but I'd never heard of Horse MAcgyber before. I need to exist outside of my Spotify bubble more.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

WraithVeil wrote: May 1st, 2021, 4:22 am I knew of some of those artists, like Ourobonic Plague, but I'd never heard of Horse MAcgyber before. I need to exist outside of my Spotify bubble more.
Horse is one of the true OGs of witch house. Back in 2009/10 he went by ///▲▲▲\\\ (pronounced Void), here's his Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/2438632-

Those 2 releases he did are totally different from what people consider WH today. He was doing similar obscure pop / hypnagogic electronic music to Hype Williams crew, with crazy collage-style videos.