why/how did witchhouse change to what it is now?

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
randomexit

why/how did witchhouse change to what it is now?

Post by randomexit »

Early witchhouse seemed to be filled with a wider range of style. but the witch house you hear now seems to take no influence from groups like ooooo balam acab or lake radio. they dont even really take influence from salem.
Why does what is currently labeled witchhouse not really sound anything like the artists that started the genre and instead sounds more like other more well known genres?
tendernessofwolves

Re: why/how did witchhouse change to what it is now?

Post by tendernessofwolves »

I think the same can be said of most genres really. The pioneering artists usually present a diverse and experimental approach while finding their own sound, while the artists they influence tend to latch on to certain common elements within that sound.

A good example of this is in Gothic rock. Bands such as Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiend, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and Specimen coming out of the post punk scene all varied wildly in sound. Within a few years the dominant sound of the genre was the dark rock of the Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, and Fields of the Nephilim.

Industrial music too was more dissonant and abrasive in the early 80s but now is a hard dance music alternative.
nimm

Post by nimm »

Genres become homogenized as they grow. Lots of people who are into witchhouse also tend to be into normal dance music, so the wh that follows more edm or wave tropes (not a bad thing) tends to be more popular, and more artists make it because it's what they know, and eager new producers want more fans so they go with whatever is most accessible. So that's the stuff that saturates. There are a lot of really experimental wh acts, they're just harder to find, which was one of the early "rules" of the genre anyway.

I prefer the range of early witchhouse, and plan to move more in that direction than I already am with my next project. Lots of people love the earlier sound, the more spooky, lo-fi, unpredictable kind of feel. Not self promoting here, just making the point that those sounds are still really important and new stuff is being made that sounds like Salem, mascara, etc.

imho of course
randomexit

Post by randomexit »

@nimm thanks so much
is there anything you could recomend in that vibe I would love some new groups to explore
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

About the main topic - I've had so many conversations about this with @Phantasma Disques over the years - it all boils down to the homogenization as @nimm said, but also people jumping on bandwagon and simply trying to make what's popular atm (both of those are not mutually exclusive). I think the Russian wave of WH had a huge impact of this shift, but also worldwide trends like complete take-over of mainstream hiphop by trap music.

Personally I dislike the current mainstream witch house sound, and am trying to promote as much as I can the outsiders that tend to do something new.
randomexit wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:58 pm is there anything you could recomend in that vibe I would love some new groups to explore
Not @nimm, but check out those artists/releases (I'm listing mostly newer staff):

Internet GF aka Edith Underground
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7199

CRAVE
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7637

Abstract Nympho
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7655

Churchterror
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7476

Voodoo Crystals
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7269

Black Goat Cvlt aka †▼††† and all his side projects
https://necromancia-darkmusic.bandcamp.com/

also look through FANTASY 1 catalog, they have the OG witch house vibe from the myspace era, lots of industrial, ebm, experimental and noise stuff: https://fantasiaeternal.bandcamp.com/
monomor✞e

Post by monomor✞e »

i think there's a lot of newer young producers who are starting out and just copying their peers,but eventually with experience and knowledge they will find their own sound. similar thing is happening with wave & Phonk, where 80% of it sounds identical,same presets, same sample packs, zero personality etc.