Home Made Instruments

Present your latest designs.
tendernessofwolves

Toxic Home Made Instruments

Post Posted

Last year when the first lockdown in the UK was introduced I got fixated on creating a drone/noise box so I could make some interesting live ambient music for the short films I do. Initially I was inspired by the Folktek ambient garden, but I didn't want to get too bogged down in onboard effects when I've got an array of pedals to use, so I looked around and saw things like the apprehension engine and some other simpler ones I found on YouTube. Here's how it ended up looking:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBKyDOQn11h ... _copy_link

Essentially what I've built is a wooden box with various springs, guitar strings and other items drilled into it with a piezo contact pickup. It's definitely not as professional and pretty as Brant's though. Anyway, I've not had a chance to record it properly, having been more occupied with other music, but I'm aiming to, and I might put a sample pack together as well (in case that's of interest to anyone?)

Anyone else here build instruments, or pedals, or circuit bends? I'd love to see your stuff.
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Home Made Instruments

Post Posted

This is awesome, do you have a video of how it sounds?
tendernessofwolves

Post Posted

zin wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 2:14 pm This is awesome, do you have a video of how it sounds?
Not yet, It's been rather neglected since I made it. I'll get it videoed this weekend and share it.
tendernessofwolves

Post Posted

Here's a quick vlog I made about it at the weekend. I look like crap as I needed a shave, haircut and my beard colouring :lol:

https://youtu.be/E66fywLBkFU
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

Fatastic stuff, I have almost zero practical knowledge about sound design (since I don't make music :P), and your video explained so many techniques to me (how the sounds are created). Well done :)
WraithVeil

Post Posted

This looks dope as hell, I'm very keen to hear how it sounds.

EDIT: I had this reply window open for a day in my browser and when I posted it, the page refreshed and I saw your demo of it.

Sounds absolutely brilliant, very wet and positively dripping. I can imagine those sounds coming from a dank haunted cellar.
tendernessofwolves

Post Posted

zin wrote: June 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm Fatastic stuff, I have almost zero practical knowledge about sound design (since I don't make music :P), and your video explained so many techniques to me (how the sounds are created). Well done :)
I'm glad you found it useful and interesting. :)
tendernessofwolves

Post Posted

WraithVeil wrote: June 8th, 2021, 12:16 pm This looks dope as hell, I'm very keen to hear how it sounds.

EDIT: I had this reply window open for a day in my browser and when I posted it, the page refreshed and I saw your demo of it.

Sounds absolutely brilliant, very wet and positively dripping. I can imagine those sounds coming from a dank haunted cellar.
Cheers :) I definitely need to start utilising it more moving forward.