(2011 Dec 20) Duisterling publishes 'Interview with ▲NGST'

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
zin
ɅDM†N

(2011 Dec 20) Duisterling publishes 'Interview with ▲NGST'

Post Posted

Original link:
https://duisterling.wordpress.com/2011/ ... 96%b2ngst/
Spoiler
Interview with ▲NGST
Posted on December 20, 2011

After a rough half week, I’m finally able to post the first of two interviews I did last week at the H▲unted H▲ll night in The Hague. This was a well thought out evening feauturing four acts which all dwell among the darker sounds of music. First of all I spoke with ▲NGST, a fellow Dutchman who has made some impressive releases this year.

First of all, we’re here at SXNF’s Haunted Hall night and Witch House is the keyword. I prefer to call it drag, because the genre fits better, what is your perspective on the matter?
I agree, witch house just sounds cheesy and it doesn’t fully cover the sound. There’s just so much related to this genre.

And who are your favourites of the genre?
Unison and White Ring, because they are both create a wall of sound. Good stuff.

You call your own sound Doomgaze, could you explain it?
It has its roots in 90s shoegaze, where they literally create a wall of reverb that comes at you. The way Phil Spector did that with his Wall of Sound. I’m also fond of doom core and rave from the 90s. Still Grim Up North, the tape of last year, has songs that are already seven years old. Back then I had no idea what I wanted to do with them. After I had listened to Salem and White Ring, I knew that those tracks belonged to this genre. They fit well with that type of atmosphere.

Which artists inspire you to create this particular sound?
Bowery Electric, Slowdive, Transient Waves, Fifth Era, Ataraxia and The Horrorist to name a couple.

Is there a specific state of mind you are in, in order to make these tracks?
Whereas it can be a party for other producers who might be found dancing behind their computers, I view it as a form of meditation. It sounds pretty silly, but I’m often in a trance with accompanying tunnel vision. (he laughs)

I had already announced in it my review: Where is ▲NGST IX?
Honestly I would have liked to put him on. However the cassette only had room for 60 minutes and because ▲NGST IX lasts 11 minutes, I wasn’t able to. But it will be featured on a future release, I’m sure of it.

What can someone expect of your live performance?
Well tonight I’ll be playing a combination of old and new stuff, about fifty fifty. Think doomrave.
And I made the visuals myself.

For those who have missed it, can listen to it here as ▲NGST has put his set on SoundCloud:

Tags: