(2011 Oct 26) The Phoenix publishes 'Unmasking the sinister beats of GL▲SS †33†H'

The Archive is a place dedicated to documenting and preserving the history of Witch House.
zin
ɅDM†N

(2011 Oct 26) The Phoenix publishes 'Unmasking the sinister beats of GL▲SS †33†H'

Post Posted

Original link:
https://thephoenix.com/boston/music/128 ... E2%80%A0h/
Click to read
Unmasking the sinister beats of GL▲SS †33†H
Dark haus
By DANIEL BROCKMAN | October 26, 2011

FLOORKILLER “Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Icon of Coil — a lot of that stuff is just 4/4 hard fucking dance music,” says Xavier Gath, “and I love it, and it’s dark as shit.”

When I met Xavier Gath in an alleyway on a dark rainy night in Cambridge a few Fridays ago, I didn't know what to expect. And I had more of an idea what to expect than most — after all, I at least knew his name, and knew he was a real person. And I knew that Gath releases music under the mysterious nom-du-DJ GL▲SS †33†H (pronounced "Glass Teeth"). Oh, and the music he releases would be enough to make more level-headed folks think twice about meeting him in an alley alone at night: it's vaguely creepy stuff, with icy beds of synth stabbings atop roiling electronic beats and a heady swirl of processed vocals.

It may disappoint the faithful to find that — rather than a hooded phantom generating beats from the souls of the damned — Mr. Gath is just a guy in his early 20s in a (black) Red Sox hat who smokes cigarettes, loves Britney, and aspires to make people dance. But such is the journey of the bedroom musician's career nowadays: in order to make the people shake it, you need to find a way to reveal who you are and step into the light.

"When I started," Gath explains, "it was the winter of 2009. I was in school in New York, and I was in this creepy, huge brownstone in Bed-Stuy. Just this huge creepy room, and it was dark all the time, and it just inspired me, it's where GL▲SS †33†H started."

At the time, a burgeoning wave of nameless artists were emerging worldwide, mixing a dark horror-movie vibe with electronic beats and indistinct vocals; artists like Balam Acab, Pictureplane, oOoOO, Salem, and Mater Suspiria Vision. The music had an occult-ish vibe, dark and psychedelic. Gath's GL▲SS †33†H project fit right in, and he soon found himself collaborating with the likes of ℑ⊇≥◊≤⊆ℜ of Mater Suspiria Vision and contributing to compilations of so-called "witch house" music. "I love giving my music an unsettling feel," Gath explains. "I want to make more trance club tracks, just make people dance, essentially. I mean, a lot of the dark stuff I love is also straight-up dance music: Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Icon of Coil, a lot of that stuff is just 4/4 hard fucking dance music, and I love it, and it's dark as shit."

For Gath, what drew him to the scene, and what inspires him, is not just making dark music, but making music that combines the darkness with the dance and pop energy that he also loves. "Lately I also want the tracks I make to get poppier," he explains. "I grew up with dark music and dark progressive trance, but I listen to pop music, too, and I don't shy away, I'm not trying to be underground. If I could get on Top 40 radio, that would be my dream. I'd love to produce a Britney or Rihanna track, totally." One of Gath's favorite records of this year? Spears's Femme Fatale.

Hey, someone's got to produce those tracks you hear on the radio — and the truth is that pop production in 2011 is far more experimental than ever, with new DJs and producers popping up on hit tracks daily. Maybe it's because people are finally accustomed to hearing crazy sounds, or maybe it's something more. "It's also this weird back-and-forth, where the underground feeds popular music which in turn feeds the underground," Gath says.

Femme Fatale wouldn't sound all that jarring put in a shuffle with slamming GL▲SS †33†H tracks like "Dead Dreamer" or "X," both from his most recent homonymous CD-R, put out on Cosmotropia De Xam's Phantasma Disques imprint. Both tracks combine ecstatic builds with eerie synth warbles yet remain eminently hummable and danceable. For Gath, it's all about focusing on making great dance music while avoiding being pigeon-holed.

"I get weirded out when people talk about 'goth,' " he admits. "I wouldn't call my music 'goth' at all. I don't know what 'goth' even means! A couple of months back I was gonna DJ this goth night in Salem, and they're like, 'Just so you know the dress code, everyone has to wear black,' and I said 'I'm out.' That's just ridiculous! I mean, are you gonna not allow someone wearing all black into a 'normal' club night?" Gath sighs, but then lightens up, remembering why he does this in the first place. "I mean, I just wanna make people dance, basically. That's it, the rest is nonsense."

Tags: