Writhing - Sounds from the Deathroot Burrow

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Tatzelwurm

Writhing - Sounds from the Deathroot Burrow

Post by Tatzelwurm »

Artist: Writhing
Length: 49:48

Tracklist:
1. :wordsoulmagick: 03:26
2. Witchcraft and Satan 05:12
3. Speak in Green, Drink ov the Wine 03:43
4. Abnormal Owl 04:10
5. Rite of Obscurity 05:03
6. Downcast 04:50
7. STΩRM 03:48
8. Olfaction of Miasma 05:28
9. Bog Ceremony 03:39
10. Heed the Call ov the Devil's Trumpet 04:08
11. The Realm 06:16

Links:
https://soundcloud.com/writhingmusic
https://writhingmusic.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Tatzelwurm on June 24th, 2022, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Writhing - Sounds of the Deathroot Burrow

Post by zin »

I absolutely love the first half of the album, your sound there oscilates between the styles of Ritualz, Silver Strain and Audrey Hørne (without sounding like a copy of any of them), a glorious mash-up of dark electronic influences that takes my mind back to 2011.
Both "wordsoulmagick" and "Witchcraft and Satan" are great choices to kick off the album, they both feature all the staples of classic witch house sound, but manage to steer away from modern cliches. Drum patters, choice of samples, menacing bass all managed to grab my attention from the very beginning - especially the latter one with it's backing of electric guitar that lifts the track in a subtle but noticable way. "Speak in Green, Drink ov the Wine" is probably my fav track from the LP, I love everything about it from its rythmic bass, great drum arrangement and synths to the well fitted creepy voice. "Abnormal Owl" sounds similar to Ritualz' "Psychic Teens" thanks to the beats, but manages to remain in its own lane while making me nod throughout. "Rite of Obscurity" gives off ∆AIMON feel with its hellish mood and the guitar, I really dig how slow and sludgy it is. "Downcast" marks the point of the album where I started questioning it a bit more - i.e. the strumming of the guitar in its first half was a bit out of place (totally love what's happening from 1:30 mark though). "Olfaction Of Miasma" brings back the strumming but I feel like it fits better here, giving the song anxious vibe. "Bog Ceremony" is totally not my cup of tea, the wobbly bass sounds off, I live in the UK and been listening to dubstep since way before it morphed into the dreadful brostep, so I'm really cautious about how it spills onto other genres. "Heed the Call ov The Devil's Trumpet" goes back to the 2011/12 era witch house sound, I like the found footage feel to it thanks to the vocal sample, but the production itself is "just" ok. The record is closed with "The Realm" and I must admit it's a great outro track, spacious, droney and very atmospheric, with its slowly pulsing beats it makes me feel like I'm slowly being beamed up towards some HR Gige-designed alien spaceship. Really loved that one, and a brilliant way to wrap up the album.

Looking forward to hear more of your stuff, and will try to buy this record on bandcamp day.
Tatzelwurm

Post by Tatzelwurm »

Thank you for the review. This is the first outing, other than the original 4 tracks that were a demo originally and were on this album. All feedback is appreciated.
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

Tatzelwurm wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:49 pm Thank you for the review. This is the first outing, other than the original 4 tracks that were a demo originally and were on this album. All feedback is appreciated.
Cool, so the 4-track demo was originally on bandcamp and then you expanded it to this LP?

Thanks for posting and make sure to share other works too :)