Candle Ea†er

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
Bleak-Reverie

Candle Ea†er

Post Posted

My project.
https://candleeater.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/candleeater

Sat Mar 04, 2023 update:

I just wanted to follow up on Zin's suggestion of explaining the history of my releases. First off I'd like to thank anyone seeing this, for the renewed interest in my work. It means a lot and I am very glad it's happened now, at the same time deciding to return to the project. I am very excited for the new album and cant wait to share it to the world but most of all the WH community.

It all started back in 2010. I was in my last year of college and the midst of my Black Metal career, focusing on my project Circle of Ghosts. During this time I was a member of another small community hidden on last.fm. We were all one man bands who started new projects with specific aesthetics and aim. Mine being Void of Reveries. It all revolved around the bands Velvet Cacoon/Clair Cassis and the labels Khrysanthoney/Starlight Temple Society, all of whom I worked as an Artist for as well. The members of this community had vast musical interests as I did and I really started to get into more home recorded genres outside of Metal. At the same time I was in school with members of Alpha Couple. And through them I met/attended shows of the first WH musicians forming in Canada, High Park, zxz and others that were the "New Weird Canada" scene. Once I knew about WH, I immediately sought out all the Disaro releases. I had to have them. WH was the freshest dark music I had ever seen born in my lifetime. And Salem's King Night had quickly become my new favourite thing. Salem melted my mind. So I had to get on board. And I'm glad I did.

I improvised the tracks on the Love Less Demo in a night. Just trying my hand. I released it on tiny mixtapes (90% sure it was), just to a few people I knew musically around the same time my first Void of Reveries album was released on CD. Once that was out I began getting deeper into the Canadian leg of the movement and wanted to take the project seriously. The next year I released False Sun EP. Which again is a series of improvised experimental tracks. I believe I released this the same way. But I made CD-rs and gave them out. Shortly after this I began to compose ||Nocturne||. I switched from my experimental lofi sound and wanted to go for the dark, Saw ridden Trap sounds I heard in artists like Glass Teeth, Ritualz and especially Salem. While working on the album I contributed to a friends compilation CD on his label Castledrum. It featured High Park, myself and a bunch of Weird Canada artists. This got me more attention here in Canada. It was 2012 and by this time, WH was still experimental but starting to define its sound I'd say. So I took all I knew about song composition from Atmospheric Black Metal and applied it to my new flavour of WH and ||Nocturne|| was born. I had it up on an old deleted bandcamp for awhile, as Bandcamp was new to me then. Sometime soon after I started a new bandcamp specifically for CE and put it up there. This was the time i started involving myself on the Facebook pages that were up and meeting others around the world making waves. I miss those times quit a bit. In fact I'm pretty sure I talked to Mircalla a few times back then! Come 2013, I began recieving invites to play shows in the Toronto/Hamilton area at venues who's owners/DJs were in the ball with the underground electro scene and this opened up all kinds of opportunity, and amazing memories. My first show I opened for Orphyx, a solid start, followed by many more shows at venues and houses, even crossed over with the Hamilton Hip-Hop scene some friends were involved in. I met so many people who's music I really vibed with just going out to DJ or perform. From just listening to standing 3 feet apart from artists like White Ring, Spaceghostpuurp, Orphyx, etc. Getting handed envelopes of cash I've never had all at once, in a night. I knew I had finally got myself involved with something special. I felt very empowered and respected in a scene I was not used to being in. Hanging with people I never imagined I would. I regretted not trying to show up to US events of the time, I attribute this to why I remained under the radar. But I did well here at the time. Later in the year Phantasma Disques released the album with a couple extra tracks and I started to put together all the new tracks I had been working on in order in which would come to be ||Ego Death||. (I'm foggy with why it wasn't up on bandcamp.) I played shows into 2014. My last one being SINS vinyl release party with Sarin and Kill Your Rapist.

My life took a bit of turn by 2015 and I noticed WH was indeed slowing down. I think this saddened me more than I realized. My journey through early WH is a huge milestone in my life. But seeing a rejuvenated interest in the scene, some older artists still going and of course the release of Salem's Fires in Heaven, I felt it was time to return. I'll gladly fight for the second coming of Witch House.

With that being said, my third full length album and the upcoming collab between myself and WYRD, will hopefully be a worthy offering in fueling the fires.

Sorry for the length, but that's the history and that felt good to write about after all this time.
Love you all.
Inoxia
Candle Ea†er : http://candleeater.bandcamp.com/
zin
ɅDM†N

Re: Candle Ea†er

Post Posted

I love this post, I'm a sucker for proper back story like this one. I've linked a bunch of your side-projects on Discogs, I'm sure there's more out there, but that's based on my limited online research: https://www.discogs.com/artist/5473915-Candle-Eater

Did you manage to buy some of the Disaro CDRs? Or did you just download them back then?
Bleak-Reverie wrote: March 4th, 2023, 5:40 amI improvised the tracks on the Love Less Demo in a night. Just trying my hand. I released it on tiny mixtapes (90% sure it was)
Could you elaborate on this? Was it the blog/magazine website? Any chance you have a link to that?

Also - how did you end up on Phantasma Disques? You sent the album to Cosmotropia and he agreed to put it out? Did you have any say when it comes to the cover artwork (i.e. photos, fonts)? Do you know the models that are on the cover?
Bleak-Reverie

Post Posted

Thank you very much! That's awesome.
I did not own the physical releases but I really wish I did. I just downloaded them.

For the life of me, I swear the sharing site I used was called Tiny Mixtapes, but looking it up all I can find is the blog magazine site which definitley wasn't it.. it was this one page you could upload on and it generated a DL link much like mediafire, etc. I must have it confused with another. I'll figure it out.

And yes, when I first released the digital version of Nocturne, I contacted Phantasma Disques about a physical release. We agreed on adding two exclusive tracks and I let them do the artwork. I liked the idea of an alternative cover for the release and I love the Art they do. I do not know the models.
Inoxia
zin
ɅDM†N

Post Posted

Bleak-Reverie wrote:Later in the year Phantasma Disques released the album with a couple extra tracks and I started to put together all the new tracks I had been working on in order in which would come to be ||Ego Death||. (I'm foggy with why it wasn't up on bandcamp.)
Can I ask about this album too? It seems like it was written and recorded in 2013, but "officially" released this year, right?

Also was this the FIRST original cover artwork for "Nocturne"? (btw I've noticed u updated the Bandcamp one a few weeks ago, it's slightly lighter than it used to - I managed to save the previous one here: viewtopic.php?t=8284)

Bleak-Reverie

Post Posted

That old image there was just placeholder until I finished the artwork for Nocturne. As for Ego Death, I played it live a bunch and had a CD-r for it that I mostly sold to friends circulating around locally. In my mind i consider it released in 2013 but its resurrection now as well as all the other older material i have just uploaded i consider re-releases I guess.
Inoxia