General Topic - When did it stop being "drag" & start being "witch-house"?

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
teacake

General Topic - When did it stop being "drag" & start being "witch-house"?

Post Posted

Prepare your brain for some deep, meta-philosophical questions here...

This has been buggin' me since I joined the boards. Who/what decided the genre was to be dubbed "Witch-House" in the end? When I was first introduced to Salem and the like, people were calling it "Drag" or "Screwgaze"

Genre are genres, people make shit up all the time (got a friend who supposedly produces "dickstep") but I'm still curious what people think about this.
Whyt Noiz

Re: General Topic - When did it stop being "drag" & start being "witch-house"?

Post Posted

Drag is screwed...to me atleast its more of a slowed down remix...i also consider Mater Suspiria Vision drag, becuase there music is terrible
Witch house is good bands like salem o0o0o0 whatthe fuck ever, and mascara etc...
this is my opinion!
AllYouZombies

Post Posted

I don't know but the shift just happened recently. All I know is that when I search or tag things as "drag" a bunch of drag queen stuff comes up. It's just easier to search "witch house".

I prefer drag. It's simple and sounds better. But... it's being used less and less.

Drag, witch house, witch haus, screwgaze, grave wave = same genre
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

Whyt Noiz wrote:Drag is screwed...to me atleast its more of a slowed down remix...i also consider Mater Suspiria Vision drag, becuase there music is terrible
Witch house is good bands like salem o0o0o0 whatthe fuck ever, and mascara etc...
this is my opinion!
Oh I see, you listened a lot to MSV calling it drag - wow!!! Maybe 10% of it is drag :roll:

Regarding the development of the term: Salem called their music drag, Pictureplane threw in the term "Witch House" when asked to describe his music.

In the beginning most press and blogs like pitchfork refused the term "witch house" and tried to push it down as "drag"
ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ

Post Posted

It's a bit disturbing to be part of a genre named by Pictureplane. At least "industrial" had Throbbing Gristle at its foundation!
Phantasma Disques

Post Posted

ƧƆỴ†ɧЄ wrote:It's a bit disturbing to be part of a genre named by Pictureplane. At least "industrial" had Throbbing Gristle at its foundation!
Have a listen to Stockhausen and you will find out the origins of industrial music already in the 1950s. That insane guy did crazy electronic noise long before electronic Krautrock and Industrial...

Stockhausen was and is still a big idol for Throbbing Gristle and PTV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XfeWp2y1Lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqvBvOX ... re=related

This namedropping is often created by only a joke - when we did the first ZOMBIE RAVE it was also just a joke and now lots of people know the term
Technoctopus

Post Posted

When I think of Witch House I think of hip-hop beats girl vocals southern rap deep bass sounds things like this drag to me just seems like it has no real I guess you would say boundaries to it I dunno Im not really sure thats just what I think
oOoOOoOoooOoooO
mis†er_elec†ric

Post Posted

Whyt Noiz wrote:Drag is screwed...to me atleast its more of a slowed down remix...
Witch house is bands like salem o0o0o0 whatthe fuck ever, mascara etc...

I agree with your first two statements, and some of the penultimate. However, I think Salem's got some "drag" to 'em: Till the World Ends remix, Sick, Tair, and Trapdoor really exemplify this. But, the other stuff makes me think "witch house." Maybe it's the sizzurped/screwed vocals that differentiate the two. As for MSV, I'd say "drone," not drag. Maybe you just don't like drone. I thoroughly enjoy MSV. In the end, it's totally subjective and I think they're all are just parts of a larger, darker fusional genre. And I enjoy them all.
⁄̱̱̱̱̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̆̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̨̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̱̑̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̆̄̃ṛ̵̵̵̵̱̊ ̧̧̧̱̱̑̆̆·̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̣́̊̉̊̉̉̊̄̋⋆̵̧̧̧̛̛̛̛̦̄̈̊̊̄̉⁄̵̵̵̵̵̛̣̱̱̃̄ ̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̵̛̛̣̣̣̣̣̣̣̑́̄̃̈̃̃̈̄