Lightex - My Own Phobia (2020)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Lightex - My Own Phobia (2020)

Post Posted

1. Cold Light
2. Sickening
3. Chemical Burn
4. Lost Hood 2020
5. My Own Phobia

Free download:
https://ek4t3.bandcamp.com/album/lightex-my-own-phobia

Italian producer Lightex debuted this year on Ek4t3 label with this 5-track dark trap / witch house EP. This release is a weird one, on one hand all the tracks are well produced, and may work as stand-alone singles (looking at artist's Bandcamp page, it seems like it's his prefered format), but when grouped together they fail to sound as "one". I do miss albums (or extended plays in this example) that feel cohesive, flow naturally and/or tell a story. I don't think this is the case here.
The stand-out track here is probably the opening "Cold Light" - it has a VERY familiar drum pattern to SALEM's "Frost", which with nice background pads / synth and well paired vocals, sets a good, hazy and dark mood for the rest of the record. Track two made me think of a crossover between FLESH and PLVGUES, it would be pretty great if it wasn't for the lead synth, it just doesn't sit right with me. I'd love to hear it reworked with slightly different approach. "Chemical Burn" and "Lost Hood 2020" are trappy beats, not bad, but we've had hundreds similar tracks in the last 5-6 years. I'm a sucker for vocal samples used in the latter one though. The final, titular track is a wavey witch house joint with a catchy melody, simple beat pattern (that actually works in its favour), and looped vocals cut just a split-second to early which creates an interesting effect. I could again complain about the cliche saw synth, but the track actually has replay value and is a well rounded finale to this 17 minute EP.