ΣΕΘ - Where Dreams Come To Pause... (2020)

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

ΣΕΘ - Where Dreams Come To Pause... (2020)

Post by zin »

1. Pause
2. L1F3SVX
3. I Choose to Disappear
4. N07H1N6
5. At Times We All Fall
6. SLUM
7. Drunk Dialer feat. Stacey Yi
8. BLAME
9. ALWAYS
10. Summon the Demons
11. PAZUZU
12. Outsider with DREAM BLACK
13. DAWN with Sidewalks And Skeletons
14. The Fear Of Eternal Solitude 2.0
15. The Dotted Line feat. Stacey Yi (John B Remix)
16. MINE (DREAM BLACK's Sad Trip Remix)

Buy download / CD:
https://remissionentertainment.bandcamp ... e-to-pause

It's been quite a prolific year for SET in 2020. A full lenght album, maxi-single and an EP, organising online festivals during lockdown, designing merch, running a label (El Cuco Recs) and being an engineer in between all that is not a small task. "Where Dreams Come To Pause" was actually my first introduction to SET's music. He comes from the Moombathon / EDM background (well, at least based on his label's history), and glimmers of those influences do come out every now and then in the course of those 16 tracks, especially when it comes to understanding songwriting and their structure. While witch house serves as a frame for most of them, the album is full of various styles and inspirations all over it. There are brush strokes of jumpstyle on "I Choose to Disappear", mutated skweee with pulsating beats on "At Times We All Fall", Gatekeeper-like synthwave on "Pazuzu", and dreamy ambient on "The Fear Of Eternal Solitude 2.0". One of the few standout tracks is "Always" - a fantastic retrowave banger, sounding like a modern tribute to the "Knight Rider" theme. Collabration with Dream Black is a catchy drum and bass track with a creepy tone thanks to the vocal sample used throughout. The following track with S&S is a bit of a disappointment, as it doesn't bring anything new to the table, sounding a bit like an outtake from Jake's 2019 album "Entity".
While there's a lot of potential, "Where Dreams Come To Pause" seem to be all over the place, with some really good compositions intertwined with weaker ones. If it could be revisited and trimmed down to a 8-9 track long album, I believe it'd be much more cohesive and balanced. Still, it seems like SET is just warming up and there's way more to come from him in the near future.