Black Havana

General discussion, news, info, new releases etc.
zin
ɅDM†N

Black Havana

Post by zin »

https://blackhavanarecords.tumblr.com/
Old bandcamp: https://web.archive.org/web/20140516215 ... avana.com/

Witch house label from Russia, I think they later morphed into Youth 1984 label (founded by Artem Smirnov aka SØMN∆)? Correct me if I'm wrong. It's a shame that all those releases got deleted.

Discography (partial, some catalog numbers couldn't be verified)

BLACK HAVANA #4 caak - s l u t ' s t e a r s
BLACK HAVANA #5 DDCƠ - DARKTAPE
BLACK HAVANA #6 SØMN∆ - RAZORBLADE LOTUS
BLACK HAVANA #7 R A I M B O W Z - DΣΣP iN MY ╫Σ▲D
BLACK HAVANA #9 zemlyavozduh - suffering everywhere
BLACK HAVANA #12 FOTOSINTΣZ - SVLΣM
BLACK HAVANA #14 zemlyavozduh - delight
BLACK HAVANA #15 Eli Luck - Sense
BLACK HAVANA #19 New COME - NUDE
BLACK HAVANA #20 zemlyavozduh - incurable
BLACK HAVANA #21 caak - wrong way
BLACK HAVANA #22 Tom Strobe - Whispers
BLACK HAVANA #23 CLOSEFLY - Earthquake Oasis
BLACK HAVANA #24 SØMN∆ - 6 ROSES, PLEASE
BLACK HAVANA #25 T.M.XX - 悪魔霧の波
BH026CD1LP V.A. - Black Hartshorn

Albums without catalog numbers (they couldn't be tracked down at the time of writing this post - maybe @SENJI could help out tracking them down?)

B∆D ŦЯIP - URSUS M∆ЯIŦIMUS
V.A. - MALDOROR
Tweak Tink - Mallow
V.A. - ENTROPY
ⱣⱢɅʞΔⱢ KⱢΣĦ - HURRICANE LOVERS
Σxis†emy - Grallaed
New COME - ADDICTIVE
V.A. - NEVERFALL
V.A. - Exclusive EP
Epichhore - Untitled
T.M.XX - エラー
GNOSTIC DANCE - I LUV U SADAKO II
Kotoparty - Kotoparty
yaka-anima

Re: Black Havana

Post by yaka-anima »

wow looks great on the wayback machine. u-u so many netlabels defunct. And not only in WH genre. In experimental, dark ambient, goth, vaporwave, etc etc.
:skull: :ghost: :coffin: :skull: :ghost:
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

Hey. Yes, zin, Black Havana was founded by Artem Smirnov (SØMN∆) but there were several people involved in it. I think v† (Violet Trip) was involved in it somehow too, not 100% sure though. They appeared around 2013 but in 2014 they already had a big reorganisation and gradually changed their name to Youth1984. Prior to this reorganisation all their old releases could be downloaded for free but later they got deleted. I will check my archives and see what I have saved. Are you also interested in interviews?

P.s. while it is alive, there is another old dead russian wh label which you reminded me about https://unholytriangle.bandcamp.com/music
- Undesired
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

I am preparing a spreadsheet with all the releases, catalogue numbers, dates, covers, etc... including Youth1984. Will share with you when it is ready.
Last edited by SENJI on January 7th, 2023, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Undesired
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

I can verify these catalogue numbers are 100% correct:

BLACK HAVANA #12 FOTOSINTΣZ - SVLΣM
BLACK HAVANA #14 zemlyavozduh - delight
BLACK HAVANA #20 zemlyavozduh - incurable
BLACK HAVANA #22 Tom Strobe - Whispers
BLACK HAVANA #24 SØMN∆ - 6 ROSES, PLEASE
BLACK HAVANA #25 T.M.XX - 悪魔霧の波

Are you sure that "caak - s l u t ' s t e a r s" is #4 ?
- Undesired
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

SENJI wrote: January 7th, 2023, 5:31 pm Are you sure that "caak - s l u t ' s t e a r s" is #4 ?
Yes, based on this artwork:

The catalog numbers I listed in my first post are 99.9999% correct, based on the artworks I found online.
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

zin wrote: January 7th, 2023, 5:42 pm
SENJI wrote: January 7th, 2023, 5:31 pm Are you sure that "caak - s l u t ' s t e a r s" is #4 ?
Yes, based on this artwork:

The catalog numbers I listed in my first post are 99.9999% correct, based on the artworks I found online.
Ah, cool, I didn't check other sources online yet. Then I can fill in some gaps about some releases if info about them is not anywhere online, assuming that I know the release dates which can hint the catalogue number.

For instance, your list has the following:
BLACK HAVANA #7 R A I M B O W Z - DΣΣP iN MY ╫Σ▲D

I know for sure that #7 R ∆ I M B ❍ W Z - DΣΣP iN MY ╫Σ▲D released on 23 February 2014
and I know for sure that #9 zemlyavozduh - suffering everywhere released on 01 March 2014
I also know that New COME - ADDICTIVE released on 26 February 2014, however, I don't have the catalogue number (or the cover that includes the catalogue number). But, since I have its release date and we can see that the release date is between the releases of the #7 and #9, we can assume that New COME - ADDICTIVE is the #8.
You will see the list once I check other sources as well. Haven't even checked what Discogs has.

There are some more releases like that but I will first try to find online proofs about them.

By the way, some of the Black Havana releases initially got carried over to Youth1984 but their artworks didn't include the original left stripes. For instance, that caak's release on Youth1984 looked like this:
Last edited by SENJI on January 7th, 2023, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Undesired
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

And again, haven't deeply checked even discogs yet for what it has. But as I mentioned, some of the Black Havana releases migrated to Youth1984.
This is why https://www.discogs.com/release/1202774 ... -Addictive mentions that it was released in 2015 on Youth1984, but back on Black Havana it was released on 26 February 2014
- Undesired
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

Discogs is pretty much empty at the moment
https://www.discogs.com/label/699037-Bl ... cord-Label
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

Does anyone know what release this album cover belongs to?
Y1984#7, 16 November 2014
Last edited by SENJI on January 7th, 2023, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Undesired
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

zin wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:01 pm Discogs is pretty much empty at the moment
https://www.discogs.com/label/699037-Bl ... cord-Label
All right, here is the first draft of the list. Like I said, I haven't gone through all the sources and haven't put all the info yet. Plus, the list from Youth1984 is not complete for now as well. There shouldn't be any mistakes.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
I might as well contact Artyom later. Prepare your questions :grin:
- Undesired
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

SENJI wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:02 pm Does anyone know what release this album cover belongs to?
Y1984#7, 16 November 2014
Found it. It is "New COME - Heart²", 6 track album
The orignial link was https://youth1984.bandcamp.com/album/heart

Also, found couple of screenshots:
- Undesired
zin
ɅDM†N

Post by zin »

Amazing work, especially the spreadsheet. Good luck with reaching Artyom. Maybe you can ask why did he decide to change the name of the label, why Black Havana bandcamp was deleted, is there a chance to get all those releases from Black Havana with original covers (I'd like to document them on Discogs), and finally does he have the Black Havana logo in vector format so I can archive it here on the forum. The one in the first post is something I photoshopped (read: cleaned up) based on their old tumblr.
SENJI

Post by SENJI »

SØMN∆/YOUTH1984 INTERVIEW (ENG) (RUS)
https://web.archive.org/web/20150306194 ... umblr.com/ (you need to scroll down 1/3 of the page or just search on the page for the title)
They published their interviews in English and Russian versions, but I find the original Russian interviews have more details. The English version is completely missing the question about Black Havana.

I put below the snippet of the Russian version of the interview. It has just two questions regarding Black Havana and Youth1984. Just use translation service (I think Yandex Translate is better for Russian language). The interview has some new details for me.

This interview took place in the middle of 2015, which is the time when the transition from Black Havana to Youth1984 happened.
Spoiler
Антон v†: ... И несколько вопросов по поводу лейбла: расскажи историю его старта и развития, как ты начал им заниматься ? 

Артём : Ну, я уже довольно довно хочу посвятить свою жизнь музыке. По этому нужно хвататься за все эти темы, причем желательно за приносящие (хотя бы потенциально) деньги. Вообще идея подобной организации, с внутренней стороны, в том чтоб создать связь между музыкантами и слушателями - такое заинтересованное друг в друге комьюнити. Ну а с внешней - это дает малоизвестным музыкантом возможность получать деньги за свое творчество и не отвлекаться при этом от творчества на организационные вопросы. Мне нравится этим заниматься, как минимум потому что само по себе это всё в каком-то смысле фарс. Ты создаешь имя из ничего, создаешь образ который постепенно проникает в умы людей и через некоторое время это имя уже что-то значит, несет за собой какую-то марку, смысл. По поводу истории, мне почти случайно отдали тогда не успевший появиться и уже умерший лэйбл black havana. Тогда от него было только название, логотип, и один пост в контакте с чем-то типо сборника.  
Через пол года у нас уже был сайт, контракт с дистрибьютором AWA records, пара тысяч подписчиков и тридцать неплохих релизов за плечами. Правда долго мучало то что лэйбл создан не мной, и вообще все проходит не так как мне бы хотелось - издаем слишком много посредственного материала, просто ради того чтобы держаться на плаву и иметь возможность с пары продаж платить за аккаунты на разных сервисах. Сейчас идея тут новая, и все по моему идет правильно. Ну а еще я отказался от любой сторонней помощи, которой во времена black havana предлагалось много но толку не было. Делаю все сам. 

Антон v†: black havana сейчас переживает (а точнее уже пережила) реконструкцию в что-то новое, как я понимаю? что бдет принципиально нового после “ребрендинга”? И какие планы на ближайшее будущее? 

Артём : Внешне - это новый уровень качества. Теперь у нас относительно постоянный состав - то есть только музыканты, по моему мнению, имеющие большой потенциал и уже достигшие чего-то.  
Для меня это новый образ, который полностью исходит из меня, что дает силы культивировать его в массах.  
Внутренне это более тщательная работа с каждым музыкантом отдельно, все тут по семейному, как видишь, теперь берем интервью, кое кому скоро будем снимать клип, эпилептикам сейчас печатаем диски, очень верю в этих ребят.  
Ну и вообще это дело немного сложнее чем кажется на первый взгляд - пресс релизы нужно писать, правильные обложки рисовать, распространять музыку везде где нужно, помогать всеми силами музыканту для общего дела - теперь на это все есть время и пространство, так как осталось у нас человек 7 от силы.  
Когда новое имя наберет достаточную популярность, будем наверное и заявки на издание принимать для повышения прибыли, но до этого еще далеко. 
Из явных изменений для слушателя - каждый релиз будет издаваться на диске, плюс слушатель сможет больше узнать о каждом из исполнителей и о его музыке. 
- Undesired